eps support!!!

mh.msw

20 Apr, 2014 05:16 AM

dear sir

I bought this application so I can FINALY manage my vector images. but unfortunately you stopped supporting eps file format because of the preview thing. Why don't you let us import the eps without preview, since we always have a jpg with the eps image?

If you can't solve the problem, let us at least import our images even if there is no preview.

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 20 Apr, 2014 09:44 AM

Hello mh.msw,

the problem is that some EPS files make Pixa hang with the beach ball of death and make you loose all the organization that you've performed from the opening of the Application.

We are currently trying still to figure out what is the problem but are not able to make anything to solve it because it is the Mac OS X QuickLook process that crashes. We hope that Apple will solve the issue and we check every System update to check the situation.

We can not import the EPS files relying only on the file extension (without showing the preview) because there can be the possibility to import not image files - this can lead to unpredictable program behavior and crashes.

We hope that this issue will be solved soon.

Thank you for the feedback,

have a perfect day!

2. 2 Posted by bitsandnumbers on 11 Jul, 2014 03:02 AM

And why not ask Devonthink's devs for instance how they did ? They happen to display EPS files perfectly fine. Or is it harder because of the engine you use ?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 13 Jul, 2014 07:10 PM

Hello bitsandnumbers,

we are trying to use the fastest possible ways to create the representations for our images in order to make the import in Pixa quick and reliable; because of this we use Mac OS X system components. The problem in this case is that there are some isolated EPS files that make QuickLook crash making Pixa unstable. Maybe all the EPSs that one persone uses are functioning and will work fine; the problem comes when is imported that one EPS that make all the system unstable.

We have already provided Apple with a support request in order to fix this problem. Currently we are trying to find a way not to make Pixa crash when QuickLook crashes but the ones we've found will lead to a rewriting of the Pixa core so we are considering them for the next major update.

have an awesome day!

4. 4 Posted by samanth9 on 27 Aug, 2014 03:51 PM

Purchased Pixa a few months ago from the app store. Very much looking forward to an update with .eps support. Thank you.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 17 Sep, 2014 09:04 AM

Hello samantha,

we would be happy to re-introduce the EPS support in Pixa. The fact is that Apple have not solved yet the EPS bug by their side - in this way the EPS support would be buggy and unpredictable. We hope that with Yosemite Apple will solve the issue.

have a perfect day!

6. 6 Posted by Mohammad on 21 Sep, 2014 07:21 PM

Do you have any idea that apple solved this issue in OSX Yosemite?

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 22 Sep, 2014 07:11 AM

Hello Mohammad,

we haven't tested this issue in Yosemite yet; we are waiting for Apple to announce the Gold Master version of the new Operating System - the only one reliable for tests; as soon as it will be announced - we'll test for EPS among the Pixa's common functionalities to make sure all works fine.

Have an awesome day!

8. 8 Posted by Chris on 18 Oct, 2014 06:50 PM

Any update on .eps support in Yosemite or in general? That's the one thing that's holding me back from purchasing.

9. 9 Posted by info on 25 Oct, 2014 01:38 PM

I haven't used PIXA for a while and I updated to the last version. Just to discover that there is no support for EPS files. Gosh!
    Please bring back EPS support!
    As a temporary fix, as someone has suggested, even without the quick look preview!
    Thank you

10. 10 Posted by Lisa G on 01 Nov, 2014 12:04 AM

I read the following work-around on the Apple Store Pixa program downloads REVIEW section that a Pixa user just renames the .eps file to the .ai file extension and it imports perfectly into Pixa and even has a preview. I tested it out by just changing the file extension to .ai from .eps and voila it appeared in my Pixa library. So maybe that can work for users until Pixa is able to import .eps files. I really enjoy using this program. Makes my work flow sooooo much easier as a graphic designer.

11. Support Staff 11 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 03 Nov, 2014 09:11 AM

Hello everyone,

we suggest not to use the workaround of the .ai renaming. This because it makes possible to import the .eps files but it do not solve the underlying problem.

To make it simple -- on the programming side there is an Apple's class used to hold an image. This class is to be used with every image that is represented inside the Application. It works perfectly except with the .eps files; with those files, after importing certain images, it breaks and stops to load images (every type of image) making Pixa not display all the images of the Application. This is the reason why we reluctantly decided to drop .eps support.

This problem happens when a big quantity of .eps files are imported (or stored) inside Pixa so it can never happen to you using the renaming workaround; it is unpredictable.

With every system update we check if the .eps problem is solved but at the moment is still there.

We'll let you know as soon as we'll have news!

Have a perfect day!

12. 12 Posted by Chris on 14 Dec, 2014 02:58 AM

Any movement on this? Really, really need that .EPS support.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 22 Dec, 2014 09:16 AM

Hello Chris,

we'd be very happy to add the EPS support back but at the moment the Apple-side bug still persists. We are checking with every system update and trying different roads to see if somehow is possible to add the EPS support in a different way but at the moment without a reliable result.

We know how the support for a certain type can be important for somebody and we are doing our best to reintegrate the EPS support in the App without compromising the overall stability.

Have an awesome day!

14. 14 Posted by Stanford on 11 May, 2015 06:22 PM

Has this been solved yet? When I use Quick Preview on my EPS files, it works perfectly. It sounds like you're using Apple's QP engine, which is also what is used by the Finder and OS. So, it seems like the issue should be resolved, at least in 10.10.3.

Thank you.

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 13 May, 2015 07:40 AM

Hallo Stanford,

the problem with the EPS files is inside the NSImage class (the base class for handling images in the Cocoa APIs). After loading a certain (random) number of EPS the NSImage stops to load any other image (EPS and not) and makes Pixa useless until quit. This is why we removed the EPS support.

We've reported the issue to Apple and we are waiting for the solution. We are checking the issue with every new OS but at the moment is not solved yet.

Have an awesome day!

16. 16 Posted by Daniel Lau on 08 May, 2017 10:07 AM

Hi there. It's been 2017 and I wonder if the EPS problem with Apple got any update or if there if a roadmap on Plexa team for making the function available again? Many thanks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac