Help accessing pictures on my NAS via folder mounted in OSX via WebDAV

ReLink

29 Jan, 2014 08:55 PM

I run a Synology DS412+ and I have it mounted in OS X via WebDAV, so that I can seamlessly access it at home and when I'm out, and so far it works great with iTunes, but I want to be able to manage my pictures through it as well, thats where Pixa comes in. iPhoto cannot handle what I'm wanting to do, so I tired to Pixa as it seems to be the best looking alternative out there.

I have tried adding my photos folder from may NAS as a live folder in Pixa, and none of my pictures show up, all I get is a endlessly pulsing dot next to the live folder. This is my second time around with Pixa, the first time about 5 out of 30 or so pictures did show up, however any new pictures added to the folder did not show up in Pixa.

My choice has been narrowed down to Pixa or Lyn, and heres is where the decision gets hard Lyn works amazing for what I'm trying to do but it is a pretty basic app. Pixa has some amazing features that I would love to take advantage of, unfortunately if Pixa cannot read the photos from my NAS then I can't use it.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 30 Jan, 2014 11:19 AM

Hello ReLink,

the difference between Lyn and Pixa is that the first one is a file browser that does not import files and only shows the folder structure and loads the previews on the fly (like Finder does). Pixa takes more time to load the Live Folder the first time but then is quicker in showing the imported files (with other stuff like showing files belong to subfolders or the global search).

It is important to remember that after the first import even if the Live Folder is pulsing you can access all the files that previously was loaded without having to waint till the end of the process.

This is my second time around with Pixa, the first time about 5 out of 30 or so pictures did show up, however any new pictures added to the folder did not show up in Pixa.

This is very strange. Especially the first problem. I'd expect that Pixa would show all the 30 files or none of them. Have you tried to import the files into the library not using the Live Folder?

At the moment there is no planning targeted to the NAS. We have some ideas on how to make the process a lot quicker but it would mean to re-write all the Live Folder functionality. We will approach it as soon as possible.

I hope this will help you,

have an amazing day!

2. 2 Posted by Chris Bilello on 30 Jan, 2014 01:02 PM

I have tried importing them into the library, that works just fine, but I am trying to avoid using a library. Unfortunately libraries is the whole reason I’m trying to move away from iPhoto.

I just love the features that this program offers, My Synology NAS does have a cloud sync app so I can sync to and from it just like drop box, I really didn’t want all my pictures syncing between two places, but I may have to do that, because Pixa just looks like such a great program.

But please, consider adding support for people to access their photos from a NAS, even if you just addd the ability to mount a remote folder via WebDAV or FTP right in Pixa that would be great. One of the main groups of customers for these units such as Synology and Drobo is photographers.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Konstantin Erok... on 30 Jan, 2014 01:53 PM

Hello Chris,

thank you very much for the feedback; I've added to our list to see if there is a simple way to add the ability to handle the WebDAV mount (or FTP) in App.

Let me know if you'll encounter problems with the cloud sync solution.

Have a perfect day!

4. 4 Posted by Ben Sellers on 12 Jan, 2018 06:26 AM

Is there still no way for Pixa to support WebDAV, FTP or VPN mounted media?

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac