Batch Process

Patrick R. Held

09 May, 2018 01:43 AM

Greetings:

My purpose of purchasing this app was to add the icons to my image files, each file having an icon of "itself." While I discovered a way to add the same icon to multiple files at once, by first dragging the image that you want to create into an icon, and then dragging all of the files that you want to attach that icon to into the app.

Is there a way of batch processing to have several files create icons of themselves? In other words, the icon of Picture 1 is an thumbnail of Picture 1, the icon of Picture 2 is a thumbnail of Picture 2, etc? If not, could you please consider this in a future release of your software?

Please see attached files to see what I am talking about.

Thank You.

Patrick R. Held
[email blocked]

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 May, 2018 09:13 AM

Hi Patrick,

it's virtually possible if you dropped more N images first and drop exactly N files after, but is kind of an unexpected behavior because users are not aware of what the icon<->file association will be.

I think is safe to say this feature requires custom UI to work, so if more people have your necessity we are open to taking this feature into consideration.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by quicksite on 26 May, 2018 04:23 PM

Hey patrick, I'm not sure I understand what you mean by is kind of an unexpected behavior because users are not aware of what the icon file association will be

My example is a bit different from Patrick's, but it seems somewhat methodical.

(Not sure my attachments will match up with these 5 steps, but hope they will)

1. I start with PNG files A-Z and 0-9 (34 PNGs total) -- and drag them all to the app's drop palette.

2. You can see that when I click the numeric "34" arrow, the app has accepted all 34 PNGs... (Though yes, a UI showing 34 tiny file representations would be way more clear to a user than seeing this obscure number, especially since I don't natively count the number of PNGs I batch-drag to a target)

3. But in this workflow, I next choose my desired Export icon file types -- in this case case I have chosen .ICNS files ... I also didn't have to choose an output shape format since my PNGs were all circle-shaped with transparent bg's... Now I will click "Export".

4. Though I could have named the batched output folder "icons A-Z and 0-9", I left it default showing file output type icns and the number of converted files (34) ...

5. And indeed 34 different .ICNS files are generated.

So clearly there is a basic logic already in the app to do batch conversions, and if I also wanted to have a matching set of 34 iconized FOLDERS, I would just repeat the process by clearing the drop palette, then dragging the source PNGs to the app palette, this time selecting "Folder" as my export file type, and I would get my batched output folders...

But I do follow that Patrick's desired batch action is somewhat different. Nonetheless I do agree with him that batch-processing is a very normal expectation from consumers. Though I do use the app for one off operations, I almost always have a batch I want converted all at once. And so I recommend this indeed be placed into the app task queue. Thanks! -- Richard

3. 3 Posted by Patrick Held on 27 May, 2018 08:55 AM

Hi there: Thank you for getting back to me.

OK, I think I’m not being clear about what I want to do. I don’t want to create a separate icon file, but I want the icon of the image to be a thumbnail icon of that file.

By creating a separate icon file, I still have to copy and paste the icon into the original image file, which would be very tedious for thousands of files.

I created a screen-capture video of what I’m trying to do. Unfortunately the video is 450MB, way too large to email to you, so I uploaded it into my dropbox and have shared it with you. The link is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tgyu6zb566outcy/Icons.mov?dl=0

Thanks - Patrick

4. 4 Posted by quicksite on 27 May, 2018 05:13 PM

Hi Patrick, my mistake, sorry, I thought i was addressing the person from
    company who answered first. I actually understood perfectly the first time
    what you're trying to do, and it's a great use case. ... That's why I
    referenced several times that YOUR use case was different from mine-- I
    totally got that re: direct automated iconization of your source files.

I wrote (to the company rep) questioning *his phrase about file types. *And
    I wanted to affirm that yes there are other users who want a variety of
    batch processes so yes, put resource time into this.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 30 May, 2018 05:13 PM

Hi everybody,

first of all, I have to say you (@quicksite) made the best possible explanation of how the batch processing work. Congrats :)

I think the point is we miss a way to apply icons in batch and right now I'm not sure which is the best way to handle this specific task. In software terms, this means to allow users to handle N icons to M files/folders association where N and M are number and may differ. We can make new UI to handle this but may result in a really complicated interface.

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Screen_Shot_2018-05-08_at_21.41.38.png 233 KB
  • Screen_Shot_2018-05-08_at_21.42.00.png 2.1 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac