Very Bad bug when saving .icns file

Mhjeff

26 Nov, 2017 02:26 PM

I have a drive with a Movies folder on it and I wanted to create an icon file so I could change the folder to the new icon.
This Movies folder had about 30-35 movie files on it.
After I found a suitable .png source image to create into an icon, I used Image2Icon to create the icon file.
When exporting the .icns file I thought that I would just call it Movies, just like the folder name. So I exported it to the root of the drive with the Movies folder on it a warning came up about there already being a file or folder called Movies and it would overwrite the original.
I thought to myself for a second, "I'm making an .icons file only, why would this overwrite a folder?" So I clicked continue and sure enough, it replaced my Movies folder with a Movies file. Not an .icns file, but a Unix application according to "Get Info".
And in an instant, my Movies folder with 30-35 movie files on it was permanently gone. Overwritten by something that wasn't even what Image2Icon said it was going to create.
Yea, I know I was greeted with a warning, but why? Why would you write code that would even have this potentially destructive result?
Why can't your program peaceably make an .icns file called Movies.icns alongside a folder called Movies without destroying said folder and all it's contents?
I went to see if I could duplicate this again and sure enough, I was greeted with the warning again, only this time I cancelled out.
But Really? What's up with that? I really can't ever recommend your product to anyone after this. This should've never had the potential to ever happen.
I'm attaching the Unix file your program created when destroying my data. Thanks a whole lot.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 27 Nov, 2017 09:17 AM

Hi,

I think you have changed the icon name to "Movies" in the save panel omitting the extension ".icns". This cause Image2icon to create a "Movie" file without the extension and for the Operative System, a "Movie" named file and a "Movie" named folder can't coexist in the same path. If you rename your file .icns you'll see the icon appear.

We can force the extension in the save panel, but is not a good practice because the user should feel entitled to change/omit the extension and the alert dialog is usually considered a sufficient warning against data losses.

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Movies 1.26 MB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac