Image21Icon

Tony Moody

19 May, 2017 10:13 AM

Not sure if there is an answer to this but basically I use your app on both of my macs (mini and MacBook pro). The problem I am having is that after changing an apps icon on one machine it dissappears when I open the same app on the other and I have to resort to repeating the process. This is getting rather tedious and I am hoping there is a work-round perhaps for this issue

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 May, 2017 11:05 AM

Hi Tony,

I'm not sure what's happening, are those apps on a shared drive or usb storage?

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Tony on 19 May, 2017 11:20 AM

I think I need to be more precise. They are files created from the database app FileMaker Pro. I have quite a few of these, one for finance, one for cycling etc etc and each has been given its own icon representing its content. They are stored in the ‘Documents’ folder on both machines which uploads any changes to the iCloud so when you open either machine it automatically downloads the latest file from the iCloud. I hope this makes it clearer

Kind Regards

Tony

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 May, 2017 09:33 AM

I have not FileMaker installed but I suspect it replace the whole file or its icon once you open or edit it. Can you confirm?

4. 4 Posted by Tony on 20 May, 2017 09:39 AM

I am afraid I do not understand your question. Possibly the simplest way of explaining this is that when I change the icon of a shared file, as long as I am working on thecomputer it was created on there is no problem. However, if I open the shared file on another computer the icon is replaced by the original.

As explained before the machines in question are both mac and the shared drive is iCloud

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 22 May, 2017 07:35 AM

I think this is FileMaker Pro fault, it replaces the whole file ( and its icon ) each time you open it. If this is the case the I'm afraid I can't access to it.

6. 6 Posted by Tony Moody on 22 May, 2017 11:51 AM

This only happens if you open it on another computer - as already stated it works fine on the computer it was created...

Get Outlook for iOS

7. 7 Posted by tony moody on 22 May, 2017 02:48 PM

This is not just a FileMaker problem – I have also noticed that a shared folder also loses its icon on another machine when created on another.

I believe this is possibly an iCloud issue but as this is a fundamental part of the Mac I also believe your program has not been very well designed for shared files/folders

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 22 May, 2017 03:40 PM

If this is the case I think iCloud is not designed to support MacOS icons because Image2icon create and apply icons but can't be considered responsible for moving the icon from different machines but, if you can find a method which preserves the icon I'll be glad to fix Image2icon in order to support iCloud.

9. 9 Posted by Tony Moody on 22 May, 2017 04:03 PM

As I am not a developer I don't see how I can. In my opinion this should have been thought through at the design stage especially as iCloud is extensively used on macs

Get Outlook for iOS

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 22 May, 2017 04:08 PM

Apple does not provide a way to detect if you are changing an icon inside an iCloud folder ( this is for security reasons ) neither a specific API for changing iCloud icons.

If you are not satisfied with Image2icon, I suggest asking for a refund on Mac App Store.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac