Feature request: Integrate template for internal hard disk icons

Hackintosh HD

13 May, 2017 11:04 AM

Hello Matteo and team,

I've bought Img2Icns on the Mac App Store and first of all, let me say it is really nicely designed and I really appreciate your work!

Here's a feature request of what I still miss in Img2Icns: You've integrated a template for hard disk icons, which is AFAIK based on El Capitan's / Sierra's icon for external hard disks. Would it be possible to further add a template for internal hard disk icons based on the current OS icons for that? I mean this one here:

Sierra internal hard disk

(In a taller size: http://www.extensions.in.th/amitiae/2014/prefs/images/startup_icon.png)

This would allow to create icons for internal hard drives like modern versions of e.g. this one from the times of Snow Leopard:

Snow Leopard internal hard disk

Thanks for consideration and keep up the good work on Img2Icns!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 May, 2017 04:32 PM

Hi Hackintosh :)

you are not the first who have suggested a similar template for Image2icon and I have made some test myself, but to obtain the result you want we need all the different layers of the HD icon ( imagine it as a photoshop layered files ) but of course we don't have it because is property of Apple :(

We can try to re-create the icon from scratch but is not an easy task (for me).

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Hackintosh HD on 15 May, 2017 12:12 PM

Hi Danilo,

thanks for your fast reply! - I understand your two main points, of course, availability of the image sources and copyright issues. While I can't contribute much to the copyright questions here, I'd still like to add a few thoughts or ideas to the technical point:

I have no insight in how Image2Icon works internally, but in my understanding from a user's perspective, the few "ingredients" necessary for creating the custom internal hd icon above (courtesy of CitizenJustin on DeviantArt by the way) with Image2Icon are:

• The unaltered source of the internal hd icon. On a macOS Sierra installation, it is located in /System/Library/Extensions/IOStorageFamily.kext/Contents/Resources/Internal.icns. So it's already there and in theory, you wouldn't have to distribute it with Image2Icon.

• A layer mask in the form of an Isosceles trapezoid covering the harddisk's top surface, but excluding the harddisk's sticker and its six screws.

• The image that should be projected onto the harddisk's top surface.

• Knowledge of the trapezoid's angles for deforming the to-be-projected image correctly into perspective. I assume that's not really problematic as Image2Icon already does it for the other templates, e.g. the external hd icon.

• Something what would be the overlay blend mode in Adobe Photoshop, blending the to-be-projected image onto the harddisk's top surface.

If it should come down to a question of resources, I'd like to add that I'd be willing to pay for such features as part of an upgrade to a new Image2Icon (v3?) major release or as In-App Purchases, too.

Thanks a lot!

3. 3 Posted by Hackintosh HD on 15 May, 2017 12:20 PM

P.S.: Sorry for posting it here, but the original thread is already closed:

I would like to support the request for making gamma-correction only optional, too. My Icon2Image-created icons are also darker than their source counterparts.

Thanks a lot!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac