custom templates

Basil

21 Apr, 2017 10:16 AM

HI,

It seems that I am not the only one wishing for custom templates for image2icon. While I found image2icon great in creating folders with custom icons there is one feature that exists in iconstix which I would greatly like to see implemented here: dropping more than one image onto a folder icon making thus a composition.
There is also another choice that I find unnecessarily rigid. One can colour a folder only after the image has been added altering thus the colour of the image. So, one can have either a blue folder with an original image or a coloured folder with an image that gets also coloured. What would be great is to have a coloured folder with an original, non-coloured, image. Would it be difficult to implement the possibility to colour the template folder?

Many thanks in advance for your answer
Basil

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 22 Apr, 2017 10:48 AM

Hi Basil,

custom templates are possible to implement but hard to fit in Image2icon workflow and I don't know if they will wildly used.

I don't know this will be enough for your purposes, but check this video about how to make colored folders https://vimeo.com/142288388

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Vasili on 22 Apr, 2017 02:21 PM

Dear Danilo,

Thanks a milltion for your answer. It is always a great pleasure to have a
    contact with responsive developers.
    While the link you provided is certainly most useful a problem does remain:
    the colours are always washed-out. This is almost certainly a problem of
    MacOS but still quite annoying. What I do in Iconstix is to prepare a
    coloured folder and use it as input for a second coloration. Then the
    colours become really vibrant. Unfortunately I cannot figure out a way to
    do this in Image2icon. I guess that I'll have to live with two different
    apps for slightly different tasks.

Many thanks again.
    best regards,
    Basil

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 23 Apr, 2017 10:13 AM

Hi,

I think the washed out is 50/50 macOS and our problem. The standard folder icon have little details on it which make it almost impossible to produce the same icon in different colors without having the original image layers ( think about it as a photoshop file ).

I have to study how Iconstix solved the problem but I suspect they are using their own version of the folder, which is a clever way to handle the problem but in our experience Image2icon are really fond of having the "real" folder ( which is also slightly different for each MacOS version).

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by Basil on 23 Apr, 2017 07:45 PM

Hi Danilo,

I apoologize for making this thread too long.

I am afraid that the problem of washed out colours is 100 % MacOS. The way Iconstix solves the problem is by allowing to pile up many icons. Thus one prepares a folder with washed out colours, inputs it and then recolours it. Image2icon cannot do this since there is a built in restriction of adding just one icon to a template.

I agree with you that having the "real" folder, which evolves with the MacOS version is great. The only thing I do not like is the light-blue colour.

Many thanks for taking your time to address my questions

Basil

5. 5 Posted by Basil on 26 Apr, 2017 07:26 PM

Dear Danilo,

I have been experimenting with colouring the folders and I think that i have found a solution which does not necessitate custom templates. It suffices to provide a folder of the same form as the system one but of white colour. When one colours the background the colours are what one expects and not washed out ones. I tried this on the iOS icon which is white and it works.

And if you work on the system folder icon it wouldn't be bad to provide icons corresponding older systems. The current one is too "square" to my taste but of course this is just my opinion.

Best regards

Basil

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 27 Apr, 2017 04:12 PM

Hi Basil,

you'll loose the folder textures and possibly some shadows, which is one of the coolest details of the icon itself ( in my opinion ). I think we can provide a white flat option folders icon template but will have to the sole purpose of being colored and I don't know if this will "fit" in image2icon.

Image2icon use different folder icons for MacOS 10.9, 10.10, 10.11 and 10.12 but they are not choosable, it automatically switches base icon when the OS version is detected. Usually, no one wants the older icons but I get your taste :)

7. 7 Posted by Basil on 29 Apr, 2017 04:16 PM

Dear Danilo,

You are right about the textures and shadows. What I suggest is probably not in the spirit of image2icon.
    The way I sse it, the main change in folder shape came at 10.9 when the form introduced in Leopard was dropped and became more "square". I still prefer the older one (introduced in Leopard). Would it be possible to provide the latter as a template?

And, by the way, I still prefer the skeuomorphic icons.

Best regards
    Basil

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 30 Apr, 2017 03:49 PM

Hi Basil,

is possible but I don't know where to insert an option to switch the base folder icon in Image2icon. It seems something which can be in the app preferences, but Image2icon does not have them by design.

Cheers.

9. 9 Posted by Basil on 30 Apr, 2017 10:58 PM

Dear Danilo,

I was not thinking in terms of anything complicated when I mentioned the older, pre-10.9, folders. This "older" folder could be among the standard templates offered by image2icon under a label, for instance,"Leopard folder", just one more among those templates. No point in switching the base folder, just add one more choice (since, after all, there are very few people out there still clinging to 10.6.8).

Best regards
    basil

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 02 May, 2017 09:58 AM

Hi Basil,

oh yes, this can work too and we'll think about it for the next release.
    I'm also curious to see if Apple will introduce a new folder variation with the next macOS release.

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac