OSX El Capitan System Icon Replacement

joe.scopino

26 Dec, 2015 08:58 PM

I have been using your free & now pro version of "img2icns"app for past year and it's a wonderful utility - thank you. I recently upgraded my Mac's OS from Mountain Lion to El Capitan and noticed some of the system icons are just horrible in appearance. I did a little digging around and discovered where the system icons are buried in one of the Library subfolders ( CoreTypes.bundle ) and attempted to swap out El Capitan's "TrashIcon.icns" with the one from Mountain Lion and it will not let me modify the file in any way ( copy, paste, delete, replace, etc ) even though I have administrator rights. When I decided to give your App a try, I noticed I could drag the Trash icon into the apps conversion window, but I was hesitant to try to alter it before checking in with you folks first. DO YOU HAVE ANY SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO GO ABOUT REPLACING EL CAPITAN SYSTEM ICONS USING "IMG2ICNS" TO BYPASS THE PERMISSIONS ISSUE, AND PREVENT CORRUPTION & CAUSING SYSTEM ISSUES ???

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 27 Dec, 2015 01:58 PM

Hi Joe,

you can't replace system icons using Image2icon, but I think you can give LiteIcon a try

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/24764/liteicon

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by joe.scopino on 27 Dec, 2015 04:20 PM

Grazie Danilo,

Ciao

*******************************************************************************

3. 3 Posted by joe.scopino on 27 Dec, 2015 08:39 PM

Danilo -

Hello again, and sorry to bother you. Again, thanks for your earlier reply - I downloaded Litelcon & read thru some of their reference material and it appears Apple’s introduction of “SIP” (rootless) security feature in OS X El Capitan is the primary issue with changing system icons and doesn’t matter who’s software you use unless people want to take chances tampering with system settings. I am not a developer like you folks, and although I on few occaisions had to screw around with Terminal for things like firmware updates, etc., messing with SIP could be potentially risky for the average Mac user like me.

Just wish Apple would at least allow User some small level of ability to change ( i.e. from a menu of several choices that can be accessed by some simple utility like Img2icons ) lousy icons like the current El Capitan “trashcan”.

Thanks again & keep up the good work gentleman,

Ciao,

Joe

4. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 28 Dec, 2015 10:47 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac