Flaky browser support with Google Chrome

's Avatar

will

15 Dec, 2011 04:17 AM

Sometimes when I click on a link in the Delibar dropdown (after searching) I get the spinning busy mouse cursor for about a minute before the operation times out. When this starts happening it usually won't stop - even if I close out both Google Chrome (my default browser) and Delibar. Restarting seems to fix it. This is pretty annoying both because I can't access the link, and because if I forget about it and try it again then it seems to tie up a lot of system resources for that minute when it is trying to launch the bookmark.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 15 Dec, 2011 10:35 AM

Hi Will,

can you watch on activity monitor if is Delibar taking a lot of resources or something else ?

Also please check if you have different versions of Chrome on your system. If the problem is somewhere else on your system you should experience the same delay when you open a webloc.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by will on 06 Jan, 2012 05:34 PM

Hi Danilo,

I've done some research and testing and have figured out what is making Delibar flaky and causing it to "lock up" when selecting a link from the list. Basically, if I have two instances of Google Chrome running (i.e. two installs of it), then apparently Delibar does not know which one to choose and locks up until it times out (30 seconds - 1 minute). Then the link does not open but Delibar starts responding as normal until I try and open another link.

I think the simplest solution would be to have a way for you to set what app would be used to open the link. Or what browser. I would even be fine choosing Safari to open the links (even though it is not my default browser) if it would prevent this behavior.

If I close one of the instances of Google Chrome (I use one for Gmail with a separate application data folder), then Delibar starts working normally.

I'm not ready to give up my two Chrome installs - I've tried everything including prism, fluid, and mailplane - so it would just be nice if there was a way we could tweak Delibar to open the links differently.

Also I've noticed that Delibar will only pull the url and title from the first google chrome instance and not the second one when I got to add a bookmark. That's not as much of a concern since it basically won't work in the browser I use for gmail, but just wanted to give you a heads-up on that.

I love the look and feel of Delibar - I hope that it can work for me as my primary bookmark manager.

Best,
    Will

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Jan, 2012 12:06 PM

Hi Will,

I think your problem is really tricky to fix for us, the only way we have to "read" url and title from browsers is asking them via applescript (except firefox which have one hell of a tricky way and no applescript support).

Basically applescript ask the system the control of an application defined by a name (e.g. "googlechrome"). Your problem is OSX can't decide which is associated to Chrome.

I don't see a way for coming out of this problem, maybe I should think more :)

Cheers.

4. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 09 Jan, 2012 12:06 PM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac