Evernote -> Bear; retaining note links?

Kalle Kantola

06 Aug, 2017 12:41 AM

I'm considering switching from Evernote to Bear and for this reason tried to import some notes from the former to the latter. However, I noted that links between Evernotes notes retained their association to Evernote; clicking an note link in Bear doesn't open another Bear window but instead opens the note in Evernote. Has anyone else noted this and come up with a workaround? I shudder at the thought of recreating all the links...

1. 1 Posted by Matthew Wimer on 13 Aug, 2017 07:03 AM

Unfortunately, I never did find a workaround. The problem is that Evernote (and Bear, for that matter) links to its own system. The only way to change it is to update the note.

Good news if you've done it this way, Bear has a way of linking to internal notes that is pretty simple and quick as long as the title (H1) of the note is unique. In a new note, simply add [[ before and ]] after. So say you have a note titled Psychology. All you need to do in a new note is have [[Psychology]]. That'll create a link.

It's a bummer having to rebuild it, but I think it'll be the same way no matter what app you migrate to.

2. 2 Posted by Kalle Kantola on 13 Aug, 2017 10:25 AM

Thanks for the info. I have ~4000 notes with many containing numerous links. Manual conversion is not an option for me. I guess I'll stick with Evernote. I was attracted by Bear's speed and simplicity.

3. 3 Posted by Matthew Wimer on 13 Aug, 2017 05:16 PM

I have about the same. I realize it's a pain to go through and rebuild your notes, but if you're not satisfied with Evernote (as I was not), it's worth going through them. I thought of it as a refresher in re-getting to know my notes. 

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac