touchID/password protected notes

Robby

11 Jun, 2017 02:15 AM

any update on password protected notes?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Jun, 2017 06:16 AM

Hi Robby,

a month ago we let Bear's users vote which major feature they want most between tables, encryption, and mathJax. Tables won so we'll work on it first but password protection was the second most voted.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Bob on 13 Sep, 2017 11:58 PM

Really, Tables won. If you want to do tables then use a word processor or spreadsheet. Password protection my files is much more important. It seems that you're getting away from the original Bear intention, a really nice note-taking app. So many companies have had a really good idea then started adding "features" where it gets to the point of not being usable for it's original purpose. Hope this doesn't happen to Bear.

3. 3 Posted by jim g on 14 Sep, 2017 09:38 AM

Bob - keep in mind that per the Bear home page, Bear is a writing app based on a markdown editor. Many writers using the app need markdown table support in order to be able to include tables in their documents. Word processors or spreadsheets are no help with that. I suspect that's why tables came in first.

4. 4 Posted by Bob Benwell on 14 Sep, 2017 04:36 PM

Thanks, Jim. I didn’t know that.

5. 5 Posted by Ariel on 15 Nov, 2017 09:37 PM

I'm canceling my Bear Pro subscription because of this. I really like Bear but I really NEED password protection. (TouchID and Face ID support). So sad. One Note it is (cries)

6. 6 Posted by Dave on 21 Jan, 2018 04:19 AM

Yup password protection is a must. Most of my notes don’t require protection but there are some personal and work notes that must be locked therefore Bear has limited use for me. Can’t go back and forth between note programs based on features. I need something to easily make a note on any device i’m Using, hold notes, teasily find them and to protect sensitive information. Bear’s biggest strength is the ease of adding and using tags. It’s biggest weakness is password protection.

7. 7 Posted by David on 03 Feb, 2018 03:53 AM

I LOVE this app and really want to make it my note-taking solution / subscribe to pro, but there's no way I can do that unless it has password protection available.

Please add it and many (including me) will become happy subscribers!

8. 8 Posted by Karl on 05 Feb, 2018 02:43 AM

Hello.
    Bear is truly a beautiful app. So thank you. UI/UX is critical and you guys have nailed. It seems you have this on your list, but just adding another vote for TouchID / Password much like DayOne App have enabled.

Thanks kindly. I can't wait.
    Karl.

9. 9 Posted by Freelancer on 01 Apr, 2018 02:18 PM

I was ready to pay for a monthly subscription but turns out Bear doesn’t have password protection. So add me to the chorus of people who can’t use Bear until it adds this feature.

10. 10 Posted by benM on 21 May, 2018 09:30 PM

Ditto, please I want to give you my money :).

11. 11 Posted by Erik on 04 Jun, 2018 09:19 PM

I wait also until there is password protection

12. 12 Posted by Montalvo on 04 Jun, 2018 11:01 PM

I love Bear! I understand password protection is a must for many of us, and I also understand that further improvements and development needs our $upport. So I switched to BearPro to show my love. Do I need to protect my notes? Yes, but my iPad and computer are NEVER unlocked while I'm away of them.. so it is not a big deal. I keep regular backups of all my data on Dropbox (two-factor enabled) and a second backup on an encrypted SSD disk.

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Jun, 2018 05:58 PM

Hi Everybody,

at the moment we are attending the WWDC to understand what new in Mojave and iOS 12 for Developers. So far it seems supporting the new OS releases do not imply a lot of work and we can go on with our plan and implement locking/encryption for the next Bear release.

@Montalvo Thanks a lot :) I just want to say, If locking is really required to your workflow showing $upport (lol) now is not necessary and I suggest to wait until this feature is released.

Cheers.

14. 14 Posted by Samuel F. Monta... on 06 Jun, 2018 07:35 PM

Hi Danilo!

What a GREAT app is BEAR! I tested it for a couple of days, and my choice
    to get BearPro was immediately.

I have been beta-testing a lot of different apps in the past, and I know
    that development of new features needs resources.. and many of those
    resources come from $upport of current users. My post was into that path.
    Many users just complain about lack of this or that, as a pretext to do a
    "full jump" into a new platform. I read many forum posts, and they share
    the same topic. As people say: "just my 2 cents"..

As I said in my post, Bear having support for touch-id or password could be
    a *must* for many. Not to me as an urgent issue to solve, cause I never
    left my iPad or Macbook unlocked.

With Bear, I think there are other topics to solve, like..

1. If someone sent me a bearnote document using mail, and I received it on
    my iPad, there's no way to open it directly in Bear app from mail, unless I
    saved it first into my iPad (local or using iCloud). I know this is another
    topic, from our original subjet, so there's no need to answer it. We can
    talk about this in another forum post or email.

2. Support for tables.

As I said before, Bear is a WONDERFUL APP, and Im recommending it to all my
    colleagues.
    Regards from México!

Sam

15. 15 Posted by Mikael on 11 Jul, 2018 12:11 PM

Yeah, I second that. I have to at least know if password protection will be available. Encryption would be great but number one is simply a password for the app so no one prying can get it. If you're taking notes it's a big chance they're private. And if they are, not having password from friends and family is stifling.

16. Support Staff 16 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 12 Jul, 2018 09:12 AM

@Mikael

Our intention is to ship a password/touchid/faceid app and single note locking within next major release (1.6)

17. 17 Posted by Samuel F. Monta... on 12 Jul, 2018 12:10 PM

Good!
    I think that for most users, that will be enough.
    Thanks for developing a GREAT app!
    Regards from Mexico.

18. 18 Posted by Aaron H on 12 Aug, 2018 11:26 PM

I just started using Bear this weekend at the advice of others. One of the first things I tried to do is find password protection. I'm glad to hear that you are going to release it in the next iteration of Bear. Until then, I won't be able to dump Notes. :-( Glad I only paid for a monthly subscription. This might be a deal breaker for me if security can't be added, no matter how much I like the product thus far.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac