Bear crashing when dragged to external monitor

Dave

23 May, 2017 02:47 AM

Subject says it all really. When I start bear it shows on my laptop screen and works fine until I drag it to my external display. Then the beachball of death appears for a few seconds and Bear crashes.

OS X 10.11.6, Retina Macbook Pro.

Bear 1.1.2 (4569)

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 23 May, 2017 07:43 AM

Hi Dave,

we are struggling with this bug since the very beginning of Bear development, other developers seem to have the same problem but they all struggle to find a solution.

I suspect these crashes manifest themselves with a specific monitor/mac combination because we have some external monitors and none of them give us this problem, do you mind sharing the model of yours?

Thanks.

2. 2 Posted by Dave Vieglais on 23 May, 2017 12:18 PM

Hi Danilo,

The external display is actually a Samsung 7 series 40 inch 4k TV (UN40MU7000 I believe) that I’m connecting to over HDMI.

The odd thing is that I’m positive it did work previously, then I went on a work trip where I connected to a number of other displays (over HDMI) and around then it stopped working.

thanks,
      Dave V.

3. 3 Posted by Dave Vieglais on 23 May, 2017 04:37 PM

Hi Danilo,

some more information for you, following these steps:

1. Quit Bear
    2. Remove / move $HOME/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/Data/Library/Saved Application State/net.shinyfrog.bear.savedState
    3. Start Bear

Everything is fine. Bear starts up on the external display and I can move it back and forward. Quit and restart no problems. Drag to laptop display and quit, then Bear starts on the laptop display and I can move it to the external monitor.

So - the problem seems to be resolved for me at least by removing the saveState info.

thanks,
      Dave V.

> On 23May,2017, at 08:18, Dave Vieglais <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >
    > Hi Danilo,
    >
    > The external display is actually a Samsung 7 series 40 inch 4k TV (UN40MU7000 I believe) that I’m connecting to over HDMI.
    >
    > The odd thing is that I’m positive it did work previously, then I went on a work trip where I connected to a number of other displays (over HDMI) and around then it stopped working.
    >
    > thanks,
    > Dave V.
    >
    >
    >> On 23May,2017, at 03:43, Danilo Bonardi <[email blocked]> wrote:
    >>

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 24 May, 2017 10:16 AM

Hi Dave,

This is really interesting and sad at the same way, we don't generate .savedState files, macOS manage them and we are totally not in control of how/when/why they are generated.

This seems to look more and more like an OS problem, we'll try to bring this problem to Apple engineers during WWDC.

Thanks a lot.

5. 5 Posted by David Robinson on 19 Aug, 2017 12:13 PM

These steps fixed the problem for me too. Thanks!

10.12.6. 27 inch 2015 5k retina iMac + 27 inch vx2739 view sonic connected via adapter to hdmi port.

6. 6 Posted by Brittany G. on 29 Aug, 2017 01:46 PM

I also had this issue with dragging to an external monitor, deleting the path mentioned above worked perfectly with no need to reboot. Thanks @Dave V.

7. 7 Posted by Winston on 26 Dec, 2017 11:43 PM

Thank you - this fixed it for me too. Was driving me crazy.

8. 8 Posted by Maxime Cardoen on 12 May, 2018 08:47 PM

Thanks ! this fixed it for me too.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac