[Feature Request] More compact note list

Pablo

09 May, 2017 03:20 AM

Dear Team,

As a Bear-User I want to see more density of notes in the list. Currently given that Bear shows some preview of the note the information density is pretty narrow when it comes to see how many notes (and which notes) are available for a given tag.

The Note preview is pretty useless to me most of the time because I add the tags at the top so the preview of most of my notes is simply the #tagName which is something I already know thanks to the tag list, Am I suppose to use the tags in a different way?

It would be ideal to have a checkbox either in the Preferences panel or as a menu item to simply Hide/Show Note Preview.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advance, your are doing a tremendous work, I both love Pixa and Bear apps!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 May, 2017 08:28 AM

Hi again Pablo,

I agree, we plan to ship note list display options in the future release, and of course one of them will be title-only, but this won't be in the next update and most likely not in 1.3 also.

Tags are meant to be used as you wish and to be honest the way you use them is pretty interesting, I may adopt this :)

Thank you for your kind words.

2. 2 Posted by Pablo Guevara on 09 May, 2017 03:08 PM

Danilo,

Thanks for the follow-up, I appreciate it; I'll "bear" with you guys in the meantime ;-)

Regarding the naming convention that I follow is:

1. Organizing tags by function/workflow instead of structurally. Eg, all the notes necessary for coding go into #coding, all the notes for managing (people) go into #managing, same for #planning, etc.

2. Organizing note titles using the SUIT naming convention, which was created originally for CSS but it fits very well any type of taxonomical representation. You can check it out here: https://github.com/suitcss/suit/blob/master/doc/naming-conventions.md

3. 3 Posted by tod.w on 09 May, 2017 08:00 PM

@Pablo: I agree with Danilo about your tagging and naming conventions - they look extremely useful.

I have to ask: "peedbacking"? Seriously? Is that what you do when you're frustrated? 😇

4. 4 Posted by Pablo Guevara on 09 May, 2017 08:59 PM

tod.w thanks for the comment, I'm glad you find them useful.

I often make abuse of the English language for practical reasons, in that case peedbacking is just a contraction of Giv"ing" "P"eople F"eedback".

I manage engineers for a living and the formula that I use to help them grow is: Increasinly-Complex-Challenges + Time-to-Brainstorm-New-Approaches + Timely-Feedback + Time-to-Retrospect. That process requires me to keep a lot of notes (logs) so that I can find patterns in a person's behavior.

5. 5 Posted by Pablo Guevara on 09 May, 2017 09:09 PM

Lol @tod.w I just re-read that word and it does have a very unfortunate sound to it ;-) I'll have to find an alternative.

6. 6 Posted by tod.w on 09 May, 2017 11:47 PM

@ Pablo lol. Since this is a public and family-friendly forum, I really had to choose my comment carefully lest the moderater give me some "peedback"!

I can recall when a young grad joined our company and was looking at the code (assembly language 35 years ago) on microfiche, and asked our manager what the opcode NFG meant. Since the grad was a young lady, our then-50 year old manager had a difficult time. This was also well before the euphemism "freaking" entered everyday English. N=no, G=good. The actual process was reset to 000 if current process fails.

7. 7 Posted by Pablo on 10 May, 2017 12:54 AM

That's hilarious. I wonder what that lady would have said if your manager had asked her, so what do you think it means?... ;-)

8. 8 Posted by Pablo on 19 Jun, 2017 05:19 AM

@Danilo I've found a couple of references of apps that offer the List view feature as a boolean toogle, in case you want to include the feature without the complexity of coming up with a complete overhaul of the view options.

Attaching references below

9. Support Staff 9 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jun, 2017 07:35 AM

Thanks Pablo,

I think on Mac the way is as you suggested but on iOS we'll require a preference, so maybe is better to add the same preference for both platforms.

Cheers.

10. 10 Posted by k.rut on 16 Oct, 2017 05:55 PM

Would LOVE to see this feature. I would be thrilled to have my note list to display TITLE ONLY.

Cheers!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Capto_Capture_2017-05-08_11-15-07_PM.jpg 95.4 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac