Apostrophe Search Issue

Ryan Powell

14 Apr, 2017 10:27 PM

I was looking for a note I knew I had, but wasn't finding it. It was a note about my mom's iPhone, so I searched for "Mom's" and came up with 3 notes, but none what I was looking for. Finally I resorted to scrolling through the list to find it by date, only to find it and it was, in fact, entitled "Mom's iPhone". The difference? When I type "Mom's" into the note, the straight apostrophe is replaced by the appropriate slanted, directional apostrophe. I get that the smart quotes can be turned off in applications' Edit menu under Substitutions, but what would be nice is for Bear to be able to match both (since the substitution doesn't happen in the search box, there's no way to actually search for the smart quote replaced note).

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 18 Apr, 2017 09:01 AM

Hi Ryan,

I understand your problem, but I suspect somebody can have a different meaning for ' or ` ( for example the last one is used in different programming languages and markdown ) and I don't know if equalize these symbols in searches is correct. We'll think about it.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 18 Apr, 2017 09:01 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac