BUG (or FEATURE REQUEST?) : Relevance degree in search functionality ? a step toward advanced search ?

Remy

07 Apr, 2017 07:48 AM

1st Idea

Did you consider having a minimum layer of relevance degree to your search functionality ?

I mean that if I search for a keyword say "apple", one would expect results stating the keyword in the title to be higher in results.

Currently, It is quite unclear (at least to me) what is the "sort rule" upon search. Is it the same as in the settings ?

Another example : you search for two keywords : "apple banana".

One of my notes have BOTH keywords in the title, however it appears last in the results.

This may not sound like an issue when you have 10 notes in the results, but when you have 500.. !

That is the reason why I think your app would be even better if some kind of minimal relevance degree was added to it.

What is your view about it ?

2nd idea

Just the same way you added the excluding "-" in the last update, what about the ability to look for specific statement ?

For example I want to look at my notes where I pasted about "GIT", and I get tons of results including :

• https//github and
  • le*git*imate, and also
  • di*git*al.
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 07 Apr, 2017 04:22 PM

Hi Remy,

1. yes, currently the search sorting is the one specified in the preferences. We need to change how to search works ( and we want to ) to do a weighted search ( titles first ) without losing in performances.

2. I get the idea, but I don't know how to express it.

Cheers

2. 2 Posted by Jason on 11 Apr, 2017 05:29 AM

One idea for number 2, borrowed from google, would be that a search for git would provide the results mentioned by Remy. But a search for "git" would search for whole word exact phrase matching.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Apr, 2017 07:34 AM

@Jason good idea, I'll keep it present

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac