Markdown Italics AND Bold

10 Feb, 2017 01:01 PM

I use Bear Notes in Markdown Compatability mode and for the most part it works as expected. However, one area where Bear falls down is in rendering text with BOTH italics and bold.

In standard Markdown, you can format text to be both bold AND italicised by surrounding the relevant text with three asterisks (e.g. ***example***). However Bear does not seem to understand the three-asterisks syntax. Instead it seems to interpret the syntax as bold. So instead of making the relevant text bold and italicised, Bear only makes the text bold (no italics) and leaves asterisks around the words as if the asterisks were part of the text and not syntax formatting.

I've tried accomplishing my desired result of bold and italicised text by switching from Compatibility Mode to Bear's form of Markdown but I still get the same result.

It would be really great if you could fix this.

1. 1 Posted by Peter on 08 Jul, 2017 08:01 PM

This issue has not been resolved or apparently addressed by Shinyfrog. Please fix this!

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Jul, 2017 09:38 AM

yes this problem is still on our list, unfortunately we are still looking for a good solution.

3. 3 Posted by Max on 23 Jul, 2017 03:16 AM

Would be nice if I could for example make this whole section of text italic and just the word **BOLD* additionally bold in Bear.*

4. 4 Posted by pat on 07 Mar, 2018 10:36 PM

Yes, please, "Bold" without the asterisks.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac