Roadmap?

Jon

05 Feb, 2017 04:55 PM

Salutations to the craftsmen behind Bear.

I would like to know if you could share with us a short-term roadmap for Bear.

To provide you some background, I am a developer/designer who was so far happy with Quiver, however the lack of mobile apps and this exchange on Twitter made me curious about Bear. I purchased a subscription and like it very much so far to be honest. However I really would avoid to get back in a situation where I have no idea if a feature will drop or not, or a major bug corrected.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Feb, 2017 09:13 AM

Hi Jon,

you are right we should show a roadmap somewhere, but we always lack of time.
    Anyway, right now we are working on

• Bulk tag renaming/deleting
    • [Mac] Drag&Drop of note into tag for applying them
    • Note merging
    • Tag in import
    • Tag pin
    • DayOne Importer
    • Line moving
    • Syntax highlighting for
    • Various minor improvements/bug fixes

Some of the major requested topics we'll work after that ( we have yet to sort them out ).

• New iOS toolbar
    • Tag autocompletion
    • Note title autocompletion
    • Tables support
    • MathJax support
    • Password/TouchID lock

Meanwhile we are working on a web version.
    Anything specific feature you want to see in Bear?

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by cendrizzi on 09 Feb, 2017 06:55 PM

Very good list. Based on other discussion isn't deeper tag nesting also in there?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 10 Feb, 2017 09:30 AM

Hi,

yes, it was already implemented when I wrote the list.

4. 4 Posted by Jon on 10 Feb, 2017 01:52 PM

Thank you Danilo, really happy to see MathJax and Tables here.

What I would had?

Simply put, the ability to use my Apple Pen on my notes.

However I want to be clear. I don't want you to become a competitor of GoodNotes, far from it.

I would just appreciate to have the ability of add manual notes above my layer of typed ones. That would definitely improve my current workflow, one less export/import cycle.

Really appreciating the quick replies by the way, thank you!

5. 5 Posted by swaroop on 10 Feb, 2017 05:11 PM

Really happy to see MathJax, web version, tag autocompletion!

Please add a vote for bumping up the priority for the web version, so that I can fully work when I use my Linux laptop.

6. 6 Posted by swaroop on 10 Feb, 2017 05:13 PM

Syntax highlighting for

For ??

7. 7 Posted by swaroop on 10 Feb, 2017 05:15 PM

Please add a vote for opening notes in a new window, so that I can work on 2 notes side-by-side (imagine studying notes from 2 different lessons).

8. 8 Posted by Michael Hyatt on 11 Feb, 2017 02:21 PM

The ability to have multiple notes open is critical for me. I really can’t entertain switching to bear until that is available.

9. 9 Posted by Matt on 12 Feb, 2017 06:29 AM

A vote for more concise notes list/options to change what to be displayed in notes list (title only, no image, etc.)

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 12 Feb, 2017 01:31 PM

Hi Everybody,

I try to reply to every subject:

• Right now our intention is to not allowing to draw on the note but to draw sketches.

• I forgot to write the new syntaxes... So far we have added Ruby, Perl, C#, Go, Tex, SCSS, CoffeeScript, Scala. We are still testing them and is possible not every syntax will be available in 1.0.7

• We'll definitely add the ability to open multiple notes in external windows but will not be available in 1.0.7.

Cheers.

11. 11 Posted by cendrizzi on 12 Feb, 2017 07:36 PM

You are extremely responsive. Which is really impressive. Nice work, nice community building.

Very excited to see these features come. You have a nice foundation to build on to.

12. 12 Posted by Matt on 12 Feb, 2017 11:57 PM

Thank you Danilo! Is customizing note list display options something you would potentially consider adding as well?

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 13 Feb, 2017 08:38 AM

@Matt yes, we will add some customizations for the note list appearance, but I can tell when we will start working on that.

14. 14 Posted by Bill on 15 Feb, 2017 02:41 AM

Hi all. Here's an idea you could consider for showing your roadmap. Trello puts their roadmap out in public:
    https://trello.com/b/nC8QJJoZ/trello-development-roadmap

take care

15. 15 Posted by kim.aldis on 16 Feb, 2017 09:29 AM

"Anything specific feature you want to see in Bear?"

Nice to find that I can drop audio & video into notes. For the video, though, would it be possible to pull the first frame for a thumbnail.

You should have a preview pane. Marked is kind of OK but you can't beat built in preview.

16. 16 Posted by Dominic on 31 Mar, 2017 09:21 PM

"Anything specific feature you want to see in Bear?"

The one point which holds me back to move to bear is the possibility to store pdf, pictures etc. in a note and make them searchable.

Probably to much to wish...but you can dream... :)

17. 17 Posted by John on 05 Apr, 2017 02:03 AM

Hopefully the team can work out how to integrate all these feature requests without compromising the simplicity and joy of using the app as it is right now... :)

18. 18 Posted by Daniel Gwalter on 13 Jul, 2017 09:53 AM

Good morning,

The one thing that stops me moving away from evernote (which i dislike) is that Bear does not seem to support integration.

To be more clear I use things like IFTTT and Zapier to automatically create notes from RSS, Pinterest, Inbound Emails etc.

For me if Bear could have a webservice (Rest or simple URL structure) to create new notes then I would be moving over almost in a heartbeat.

is this on the radar, roadmap or agenda.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac