Bear Pro won't sync between iOS/Mac

Allen

05 Feb, 2017 02:40 AM

just purchased pro version, just to realized images and attachments won't sync between Mac and iOS.
Yes i did check icloud setting on both sides its enabled. please help.

1. 1 Posted by jim g on 05 Feb, 2017 07:50 AM

Hi Allen, I'm a fellow Bear user and thought I would try to help out. I've noticed syncing lags before, especially with notes that contain a lot of attachments and/or large attachments. So if you have tons of notes with attachments, this could explain the syncing delay. Inside the note, you should see the placeholder for the image or attachment. Do you? A slow internet connection would also slow syncing down. Try leaving Bear on the screen of your iOS device and in an open window on your mac. I'd also not let my mac go into sleep mode, and would set my iOS device's screen Auto-Lock to never, but that’s just me and may be unnecessary.

Hope this helps.

2. 2 Posted by Bob on 11 Sep, 2017 12:23 AM

Do you have a VPN? I had to turn mine off to get the sync done. It did both text and photos afterwards

3. 3 Posted by jim g on 12 Sep, 2017 10:10 AM

Bob - I've never tried using Bear with my VPN, but I can certainly see how it would slow down syncing. My VPN slows my connection speeds down by 60% or more.

4. 4 Posted by 44sunsets on 22 Nov, 2017 03:51 PM

I had the same problem as Allen (macOS Bear wouldn't sync, last sync was over 4 days ago) and it turns out it was my VPN on my Mac -- thanks for the tip Bob! Disabling the VPN (Private Internet Access) fixed the problem.

Anyone know why using a VPN would cause problems with iCloud sync?

5. 5 Posted by Cass on 02 Jan, 2018 05:48 AM

Hi - similar issue
    I tried Bear on two devises before subscribing to Bear Pro on a third. The other two devices are still Bear and haven't synched the earlier notes.
    Does Bear automatically update to Bear Pro on the first two devices or do I need to do something? So far the notes haven't synched.

Grateful for any suggestions thanks Cass

6. 6 Posted by Cass on 02 Jan, 2018 06:00 AM

Whoops, I was just being impatient -- all sorted now! Sorry

7. 7 Posted by moses.noghbaudi... on 25 May, 2018 01:38 PM

I have had the same issue, no syncing between IOS and OSX. I've sent Bear support logs and they all seem to be fine. Here's what I'd done in my last attempt to fix this issue:

• Deleted all notes from all devices, and emptied Bear's trash.
    • Deleted Bear from all devices.
    • Deleted all Bear content from iCloud and verified on all devices.
    • Restarted all devices, then waited until the following morning to allow all changes to propagate.
    • Reinstalled Bear on my iPad Pro, verified/enabled iCloud syncing, and created one test note.
    • Reinstalled Bear on my iPhone, enabled cloud syncing, and created a test note.

These notes both synced to one another with no issues; IOS to IOS.

• Reinstalled Bear on my MacBook Pro, and verified/enabled iCloud syncing, and created test note.
    • No syncing from OSX to or from IOS.
    • OSX version shows 'Last Sync: Never'.
    • Both IOS devices are syncing as normal.

So basically the issue is: no syncing between IOS and OSX at all.

IOS to IOS: No issues.

OSX to OSX: Worked in previous testing with no issues.

HOWEVER: I did find a fix on another thread (http://help.shinyfrog.net/discussions/bear/5689-mac-stopped-syncing).

*"Quit Bear

Delete everything in ~/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/

Run this command in Terminal.app killall cfprefsd

Re-open Bear

This will reset your Bear preferences and database..."*

Suggestions to the developer:

• Add third-party syncing integration; Dropbox, etc. This would provide an alternative if the issue is an iCloud API issue.
    • Add 'SYNC NOW' button to allow a forced sync. This seems like a no-brainer, most apps I use have this functionality.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac