Syncing without iCloud Drive

Michael Pearson

26 Jan, 2017 02:36 AM

Hey!

I love the Bear app. It's been a great replacement for Evernote. I purchased the Pro update, and everything syncs well between my iPhone and iPad. However, I used Dropbox with symbolic links on my Mac. Because of the symlinks, iCloud Drive conflicts with Dropbox on my Mac, and Bear won't sync to my Mac. Is there anything I can do, short of removing my symlinks and enabling iCloud Drive? Do you have any plans to support syncing via Dropbox or some other service?

Thanks!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 26 Jan, 2017 10:11 AM

Hi Michael,

I suggest to ask to Dropbox or Apple about your symlinks problem, I'm afraid I can't help you.

We'll consider other forms of sync in the future but right now is not one of our priorities.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Greg Saxton on 06 Sep, 2017 11:58 PM

Hi there
    I also love the bear app and purchased pro so that I could sync between devices. It was syncing well between my iPhone and MacBook however my company made me install Jamf on my MacBook and within that install they have included a profile which restricts iCloud. Now I can't sync between devices and the value that bear gave me over other editors is now gone. I suspect that many organizations do the same things with people using MacBooks. Any way of getting this to sync via something other than iCloud?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 07 Sep, 2017 12:26 PM

I'm afraid iCloud is the only option available.

4. 4 Posted by Robert on 07 Sep, 2017 04:38 PM

I hope you will continue to support iCloud for synchronization. With a solution like Day One with its own cloud, the App Bear would be useless for me and I cancel the pro subscription.

5. 5 Posted by Elliot on 06 Dec, 2017 03:44 PM

Just wanted to +1 here. My company disables iCloud Drive like most enterprises, so sync is impossible with Bear. I love the app (nice work!), but unfortunately no sync is a dealbreaker.

6. 6 Posted by Ritwick on 13 Dec, 2017 07:09 AM

+1.
    My company disables iCloud by policy as well. So, like many other users, I can't use sync. Without sync, I can't move off Evernote, even though Bear is so much faster, easier to use and elegant!

Please give us another way to sync. Dropbox works, or charge more for sync with built-in S3 support.

7. 7 Posted by tod.w on 13 Dec, 2017 08:21 PM

This is an honest question:
    Do companies disallow connection to any/all cloud services or just iCloud? If just iCloud, why that service and not Dropbox, Evernote, Amazon, Microsoft, or Google (the least secure cloud)? Sounds pretty capricious to me. I'm truly puzzled by all the other open connections and no explanation why iCloud is not.

8. 8 Posted by Ritwick on 14 Dec, 2017 04:04 PM

My company (one of the FANGs), does not physically block anything other than iCloud, although there are written policies against using Evernote etc to store work files. I've never understood why only iCloud is physically blocked, other than the fact that it may simply be easier to enforce on the company-owned macbooks using an administrative policy. But it does feel arbitrary.

9. 9 Posted by Elliot on 15 Dec, 2017 04:14 AM

@tod.w iCloud is the only service that is actually blocked for me. I'm assuming that's because it's the only service with OS-level integration that can be easily disabled on enterprise-provisioned machines. I can still access iCloud from the web, along with all the other services that you mentioned, but my company has policies in place that disallow their use for work-related stuff. I agree that it's puzzling, but that's enterprise for you.

10. 10 Posted by tod.w on 15 Dec, 2017 05:28 AM

@ritwick & elliot: thanks for your comments. It remains a mystery. I recall working at a Silicon Valley outfit in the late 90s that provided all Windows computers. There were a bunch of who were allowed to bring our own Macs as long as we understood that IT wouldn't (couldn't?) help resolve problems. That actually turned out to help the firm as we never had problems and IT had to reduce their staff as a result.

11. 11 Posted by Vu Tran on 23 Dec, 2017 02:30 PM

+1

I'm on the same boat. Can't have iCloud Drive enabled using the corp laptop. I love bear app though. Please enable separated theme purchase from your app. I would imagine it's as simple as forking the code, make the theme available by default and published a separated app (might be Colorful Bear or some thing) to app store with a price tag. It will be a fantastic stop-gap for people like me who want to support the app but was not able to.

Another old thread that also request the same thing:
    http://help.shinyfrog.net/discussions/bear/6472-why-is-it-required-to-use-icloud-drive

Would you be able to share the upcoming features and if this make it to the list?

12. 12 Posted by ErikP on 24 Dec, 2017 04:29 PM

Just another +1 for dropbox - not because iCloud is blocked, but because I want to access the notes from many systems, including linux. I want a folder full of text files syncing with dropbox, and freedom to access them in different ways and via different apps on different platforms.

13. 13 Posted by Mark Shropshire on 01 Jan, 2018 07:44 PM

I would like to be able to have the option to sync Bear notes to my Synology with an encryption key. OmniFocus does this via webdav. DevonTHINK also uses webdav and AES-256 for encryption. I find that Bear may end up with notes that I don’t want in the iCloud space.

Encrypting Bear data on iCloud would be a great first step in this direction. The key is to make sure users can define their own private key.

Thanks!

14. 14 Posted by Ted on 19 Feb, 2018 08:35 PM

I just purchased a year subscription, but it is useless to me because my work computer has JAMF on in and restricts iCloud. Another option would be good to have.

15. 15 Posted by Ted on 19 Feb, 2018 08:39 PM

I am very glad for the trial, I was able to cancel. Thank you for that. If you support non-icloud syncing in the future, I will probably subscribe.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac