Lost Notes After Time Machine Restore

Zackery Fretty

20 Jan, 2017 01:04 AM

I rolled back my iMac to 10 hours ago and ended up losing notes for *4 days* -- which I can't understand. I'm going back through my Time Machine and looking at the time stamp for the database file and it looks like they're all dated for Jan 15th. It seems the database file stopped writing then, even though, I had it up for days and was using it fine.

Is there any reason this would happen and is there any chance of recovery? I could REALLY use those notes!

1. 1 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 01:07 AM

My issue seems very similar to this one:

http://help.shinyfrog.net/discussions/bear/6538-lost-note

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 02:15 PM

Hi Zackery,

it seems impossible Bear have not saved its own database in 4 days. Even if you have not opened and closed it for days it should save its data. How old is restored backup?

Cheers.

3. 3 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 02:55 PM

Like 10 hours. -- I can see in time machine under the "Thumbs" folders all
    the images but the database didn't update.

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 03:59 PM

I'm trying to figure what's gone wrong, sorry for the stupid questions..

Have you left Bear open since Jan 15th or have you quit/opened it before today?

I suppose you have not subscribed to Bear Pro ( It can be useful to recover your notes ), correct?

Cheers.

5. 5 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 04:04 PM

I'm not using pro -- yes it's been open since the 15th. It was upon restart
    / restore that I lost it.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 04:19 PM

May I ask which was the problem which led to a MacOS backup restore?

7. 7 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 04:22 PM

Long story, there wasn't really a problem with the OS per say -- it was
    more just a personal panic. >_>

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 04:51 PM

Just to be super sure, you are trying to restore this file

~/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/Data/Library/Application Support/net.shinyfrog.bear/database.sqlite

9. 9 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 05:02 PM

Yes.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 05:13 PM

Ok, to reply to your original question is not possible to recover your notes if there isn't a database copy... but I can't understand why there isn't, I checked and Bear database is saved ( and the file change it's modification date ) a few seconds after a note is edited.

I'll keep investigating for possible database saving issue.
    We also plan to build an automatic backup solution inside Bear.

Sorry for your notes.

11. 11 Posted by Zackery Fretty on 20 Jan, 2017 05:15 PM

Okay, well, that's that then -- glad to hear about the automatic backup
    solution. I'm going to have to pass on using the app until that comes
    through. I know it's annoying to ask, but, ETA on that?

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 23 Jan, 2017 08:48 AM

Probably a few months.

13. 13 Posted by Jen on 13 Mar, 2018 10:21 PM

Hello,

I am having a similar issue, though there is no database.sqlite file available in the folder specified. I restarted my computer and all my notes disappeared. I'd really appreciate any help with this issue.

Thanks.

14. 14 Posted by tod.w on 14 Mar, 2018 04:49 AM

Hi Jen,

Let's see if these steps will help you. Sometimes TM can be a pain to get past files, especially if they're in a hidden folder.

On your Finder sidebar, is one of your mounted devices the name of your Time Machine drive? It should have a icon similar to the TM icon in your menubar as part of the icon.

If so, double-click on it and you should see a folder named Backups.backupdb. Open this folder (it will take a while). Next you should see a folder with the name of your computer, such as "Jen's Mac". Open that folder (again, might take a while). Here you will see a lot of folders with names that reflect the date and time of a particular backup, such as 2018-03-12-221907. Open one of these folders that you think might have your Bear database. When that folder is opened, you'll see the name of your boot hard drive, such as Macintosh HD. Open that folder. then open the Users folder, then your user folder. Then go to the Finder menubar and select Go, then scroll down and select Go to Folder. A dropdown window will appear with the text Go to the folder: and an empty field. Paste the following in there (substituting the names of your TM volume, your Mac, the filename):

/Volumes/Time Machine WH/Backups.backupdb/Tod’s Mac mini/2018-03-01-000838/MacintoshHD/Users/tod/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/Data/Documents/Application Data/

You should see this file there: database.sqlite If not, then you have to repeat the process with ever-earlier backups until you find it.

Open another Finder Window and follow the step above to go to your current Library, like this:

/Users/tod/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/Data/Documents/Application Data

Then drag and drop your found sqlite file from the TM backup to your local Finder folder as described above.

Then launch Bear and I'm pretty sure you'll have your database back as of the last date it was saved on TM.

Be sure that you substitute your volume, folder and file names in place of the ones in my illustration above.

Also, there are utilities around that will enable you to show invisible folders and files, which would let you see the ~/Library folder on either your TM drive or your local drive.

I hope this helps. Let us know.

-Tod

15. 15 Posted by Jen on 14 Mar, 2018 01:26 PM

Tod,

Thanks for your help! This worked to restore my notes, however no backup was made for my most recent version so I still lost a lot of data. I'm a bit upset about the data - I do manual backups periodically to avoid this issue but rely on Bear to save my data as well.

I also was unable to follow your instructions via the finder window. I instead carried out copying this file into my current library through the terminal.

Thanks again for your help. If there are any ways to force Bear to create backups more often that would be really helpful to know.

Jen

16. 16 Posted by Stefano on 26 Sep, 2018 08:36 AM

Hi there,
    I have the same issue of Tod, however, I can't find the file database.sqlite anywhere in my time-machine. Is it possible that it was saved in a different folder?

17. 17 Posted by Stefano on 26 Sep, 2018 08:40 AM

This is the only document I find after the 'Go' command:

/Volumes/HDDWhite/Backups.backupdb/Stefano’s MacBook Pro/2018-09-26-092548/Macintosh SD/Users/stefanobernardi/Library/Containers/net.shinyfrog.bear/Data/Documents/iChats

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 26 Sep, 2018 08:46 AM

Hi,

In Bear 1.6 the sqlite database has been moved to

~/Library/Group Container/9K33E3U3T4.net.shinyfrog.bear`

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac