Feature Request: Insert (current) Date

Aaron

19 Jan, 2017 02:01 AM

I find myself writing time-based notes. Either a whole note that is (today's notes) or adding to an existing note, a new section for the day. It would be very handy to have a quick short-cut to insert the current date wherever the cursor is. For me, the idea would be a simple date-stamp (no time) formatted to my current locale.

Thanks for considering!
~Aaron

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Jan, 2017 10:39 AM

Hi Aaron,

is not hard to implement this feature, the only problem is I suspect everyone have their preferred way to express a date. I'll see what we can do for the future releases.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by tod.w on 19 Jan, 2017 08:34 PM

Danilo,

Can't the date format be set globally in preferences?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 20 Jan, 2017 01:56 PM

Hi Tod,

is virtually possible, but some country have its own way to express dates ( e.g. for U.S.A the day is in the middle 01/20/2017 ) and inside each country there are people who want to month expressed with 3 letters ( Jan, Feb, ecc ), with the number or with the full name. Then there are people who want or not the time, some uses PM/AM or the 24H format, maybe some want to have seconds or the time zone...

It sounds easy but it's not, even if some of these problems can be solved by reading the system preferences.

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by stuart on 22 Jan, 2017 08:57 AM

You'd be best buying / subscribing to something like textexpander. You can set it up to add things like this easily in any app you use.

5. 5 Posted by Michael Hyatt on 22 Jan, 2017 09:27 PM

TextExpander works great for this.

6. 6 Posted by tod.w on 22 Jan, 2017 10:44 PM

@ Stuart & Michael: could either of you provide links or snippets for TE that would do this for Bear? I just downloaded TE for iOS and can't figure things out. Any help would be appreciated.

7. 7 Posted by tod.w on 22 Jan, 2017 11:21 PM

Never mind. A little coffee and concentration, and I figured that out. I didn't realize I needed to activate the TE keyboard, thus proving oncevagain the wisdom of that old saying, read the damn instructions!

8. 8 Posted by Michael Hyatt on 23 Jan, 2017 01:47 AM

Sure, Tod. I use a snippet like this:

%Y-%m-%d - Journal Entry - %A%key:tab%

to insert this:

2017-01-22 - Journal Entry - Sunday

I use the keyboard shortcut ;jd for “journal date.”

9. 9 Posted by tod.w on 23 Jan, 2017 04:53 AM

Thank you Michael. What does the tab do - tab right a few spaces for your first typing?

10. 10 Posted by stuart on 23 Jan, 2017 07:36 AM

In Bear you can enable textexpander snippets in settings so you don't need to use the textexpander keyboard.

Also, in addition to dates etc (and until Bear implement a tag suggestion feature as you type) you can set up keyboard shortcuts for tags/nested tags that you regularly use. Huge time saver.

11. 11 Posted by tod.w on 23 Jan, 2017 07:41 AM

Hi Stuart - cool. Thanks for the tip. I never thought to look in Bear's settings.

12. 12 Posted by Michael Hyatt on 23 Jan, 2017 10:28 AM

Actually, I created this for Evernote, so the tab key just moves me from the title field to the main body of the note. You can remove that. It would look like this: %Y-%m-%d - Journal Entry - %A

13. 13 Posted by jim g on 25 Jan, 2017 01:17 AM

Hey guys,

Someone recommended a free basic app to me that adds various text editing shortcuts to Services. One is adding a date stamp to text and the shortcut is shift+cmd+] for long date or shift+cmd+[ for short date. Here is the link https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/wordservice/id899972312?mt=12, There are quite a few more shortcuts that appear quite handy.

14. Support Staff 14 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Jul, 2017 01:15 PM

Hi Everybody,

I just want to inform in the just released version 1.2.2 we introduced 4 new shortcuts for inserting the current date/time in different formats.
    For more info: http://www.bear-writer.com/faq/Shortcuts%20and%20more/Mac%20shortcu...

Cheers.

15. 15 Posted by Name on 19 Jul, 2017 06:23 PM

Fantastic. I love it!

16. 16 Posted by Christian on 21 Mar, 2018 02:55 PM

What about having a format YYYY-MM-DD

17. 17 Posted by mark t. on 05 Jul, 2018 03:15 AM

@ Christian — Hit (option) key to get alternate formats and you get YYYY-MM-DD with ⌥⇧⌘9 . This is great because my preference also is ISO 8601 format. I’d suggest the Bear team add this to Mac shortcuts - Bear - Faq and support

I have a question to the team. As of this writing at 2018-07-05T12:01+09:00, I get four alternate date/time formats below. What is the definition of the second and fourth format where time starts with 1212?

• 2018-07-05T03:01:00Z
    • 2018-07-05T1212:01 PM ⇦ looking strange
    • 2018-07-05
    • 1212:01:00 PM ⇦ looking strange

I get the feeling it is meant to be something like 2018-07-05T12:01+0900 but with the code being OS region dependent in some way resulting in this funky hour format. Note that ISO 8601 is based on 24h notation without AM or PM.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac