Support for Spotlight

Jona

17 Jan, 2017 10:44 AM

Bear is a beautifull app und could finally replace Notational Velocity for me. There's only one huge miss for me. I can't find items in the Spotlight search. From a business perspective, I can understand, saving all files in plain text is not an option. But is there another way to make this possible?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 17 Jan, 2017 11:06 AM

Hi Jona,

Bear's Spotlight plugin is 80% ready but we have to find a way to support images in the preview without occupying disk space ( not an easy task ).

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Jona on 17 Jan, 2017 11:28 AM

No need for images (says the guy using Notational Velocity)...

3. 3 Posted by Jona on 17 Jan, 2017 12:16 PM

So, I baught subscription, testing it for a year. Keep on your good work!uar

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 17 Jan, 2017 12:56 PM

I understand you don't need images, but please understand other people does.

5. 5 Posted by Jona on 17 Jan, 2017 01:22 PM

Of course! I was only joking, because my current system had no fancy stuff at all. Now that I have the possibility for images, I might get used to it :)

6. 6 Posted by David Williams on 25 Jan, 2017 11:50 AM

+1 for this feature, please. Not being able to search outside of bear itself is the one thing that kept me from switching to bear from NValt.

7. 7 Posted by Przemek on 12 May, 2017 09:30 AM

Hi Danilo, any update on spotlight feature?

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 May, 2017 03:45 PM

Hi Przemek,

I'm afraid not. I had not a lot of time to study possible solutions, but the main problem is still file duplication for spotlight note previews. I know some don't care about images in spolight, but feels very strange to us to ship something without image support.

Cheers.

9. 9 Posted by Trever Shick on 19 May, 2017 01:08 PM

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that while 'some' people want to see images in the preview, the real important part is search in spotlight. As a version 1 of the spotlight plugin, I would be happy with simply seeing the note 'name' and a bear icon. This would be a HUGE WIN. Version 2 could include the image preview. People in the Apple world are used to incremental updates to their applications so I don't think you'd be ruffling any feathers by doing incremental releases on the search plugin. However, the longer it takes to get the spotlight feature out, the more likely people are to become unhappy with the core application. To put it simply, lack of a spotlight plugin may cause people to stop using the application, but lack of an image preview in spotlight results probably won't.

10. 10 Posted by charlie on 21 May, 2017 06:09 AM

+1 to what Trever said - I use images myself and would love image preview when it's ready, but would much prefer to find the notes with no preview than to not find them at all. Let's start with what you've already got and go from there!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac