Bear Mac OS Share Sheet support

smith.dean

12 Jan, 2017 04:14 AM

Is it likely that Share Sheet integration is coming any time soon for Bear? For example, being able to click the Share button in Preview so a PDF can be shared directly to Bear? This is an integral OS integration component and hopefully is on the radar?!

Cheers

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 13 Jan, 2017 09:45 AM

Hi Dean,

very few people requested the MacOS extension and we don't feel the necessity to do it right now. Also I think you can use Bear's service to achieve the same result.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by smith.dean on 14 Jan, 2017 02:31 AM

Hi Danilo. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Much appreciated.

I appreciate the feedback and have just found reference to a few people requesting this in the Reddit forum so I have added my comments and reasoning to that threat just to record another interest in the feature. I hope you do eventually implement it in a future release ;-)

Cheers

3. 3 Posted by jim g on 14 Jan, 2017 09:31 AM

In Preview (and other Apple apps) there's a way to send the file to Bear without having to locate the file in Finder. Click on the file name at the top of the Preview window, then right click on the highlighted file name, choose Services, and then select Send to Bear.

4. 4 Posted by Prateek on 30 May, 2017 03:34 PM

+1 for this feature. I use Bear extensively for storing data/clipping pages - and for anything other than a browser (twitter/tweetbot, reeder/readkit/feedly) I need to use a workaround of opening it in Safari and then using the web clipper.

5. 5 Posted by Craig on 08 Jun, 2017 05:37 PM

Another +1 for this feature. As a developer, this is super easy to implement and offers sooo much functionality including Safari share support w/o requiring users to install a browser extension. This is low hanging fruit. Just do it.

6. 6 Posted by Graham on 30 Aug, 2017 12:11 PM

Another +1 please. I would use this feature extensively from a number of apps on my Mac - Newton, Notes, Ulysses, Things, Devonthink Pro Office, and others. Please can we have it :)

7. 7 Posted by Priit on 07 Sep, 2017 04:32 PM

Another +1 from me. You've done excellent share sheet in iOS and i'm posting links to Bear from Safari on macOS every day. It would be a lot easier with the share sheet.

8. 8 Posted by User on 07 Sep, 2017 04:37 PM

9. 9 Posted by User on 07 Sep, 2017 04:42 PM

sorry, please delete my last reply, wrong post ;-)

10. 10 Posted by Peter Cuce on 13 Sep, 2017 05:00 PM

I was just trying to share from Things to Bear and was surprised to not find it in the list of available apps. Please make it happen!

11. 11 Posted by Craig on 16 Oct, 2017 06:18 PM

yes please!!!!!!

12. 12 Posted by Jan on 16 Jan, 2018 10:10 PM

+1

13. 13 Posted by Mark on 16 Jan, 2018 11:38 PM

Please! +1

14. 14 Posted by Jack on 28 Jan, 2018 04:54 PM

A big +1 from me also. The problem with the Safari Bear extension always prompting for permission makes this especially critical.

15. 15 Posted by SJ on 13 Mar, 2018 03:33 AM

YES! +1 Please and Thank You!

16. 16 Posted by Parvez on 14 Mar, 2018 01:09 PM

+1 please

17. 17 Posted by David on 24 Mar, 2018 04:34 PM

Another vote for mac share sheets.

Your guys app is really good, but if you listened to your community a little bit more it would be excellent.

I've used Sketch.app since the early days and they actively sought and implemented feedback from the design community. This not only showed they cared, but the app constantly improved in major ways. And as Adobe turned a blind eye to what users actually wanted, Sketch won the day.

While I'm add it, please add a way to create a new note without a tag automatically being added. You could simply put this in preference options. It's very bizarre to have to delete #recipes when I'm trying to create a new note about #music. I know I can go to Notes in the sidebar, but this redundant step seems like a bug.

And also please add a way to not have the first line default to h1.

I'm assuming you guys built it all this way because this is how you personally use the app. And I really can't blame you. If I had development chops, I'd build my own note-taking app, but by just adding some options for users who use the app in ways different than you do would be very much appreciated.

I recommended Evernote to hundreds of people for years until it got too big and bloated to be able to recommend. I'd love to do the same free enthusiastic marketing for you guys if these kinks got worked out, but until then I feel ok enough to use it, but not confident enough to recommend it. I mean this all constructively, and again if you're designing this app primarily for your own use, cool, I get it and wish I could do the same.

18. 18 Posted by Tom Scrace on 05 Apr, 2018 09:28 AM

Another +1 for share sheets on the Mac. I love how it works on iOS and desperately need the same thing on the Mac :)

Thanks
    Tom

19. 19 Posted by Andreas Müller on 26 May, 2018 07:40 AM

+1

20. 20 Posted by Tom Landgraeber on 27 May, 2018 12:19 PM

Another +1 for Mac share sheet support. Can't believe it's still missing.

21. 21 Posted by Alex on 29 May, 2018 08:51 AM

One more +1

22. 22 Posted by Sian on 30 Jun, 2018 06:13 PM

And yet another +1

23. 23 Posted by Jesse Hollingto... on 11 Jul, 2018 09:02 PM

Another strong +1 as well.... Every time I try to put something into Bear on my Mac, I feel like I'm missing an arm by not having a proper share extension, since it's my go to place for every other app.... Safari extensions are just so 2015 :D

To make matters worse, the Safari extension got ugly in High Sierra, since it insisted on always prompting for permission to open Bear, which always felt like a real disturbance in my workflow. I'm not sure if Mojave changes this, since it's deprecated standalone extensions entirely so I can't use Bear clipping on the Mojave betas at all, but with the Safari extension needing to be bundled into the core app anyway, it seems like this would be a good time to switch to a share sheet :)

24. 24 Posted by Jack Ivers on 30 Jul, 2018 06:11 PM

hey Shiny Frog,

Anything to report on this? Safari extension is getting increasingly painful, the crap that ends up saved in the note when using the extension is pretty horrible ...

25. Support Staff 25 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 01 Aug, 2018 08:47 AM

Hi,

We are working some changes to the iOS extension(s) which should facilitate the porting of the iOS extension to Mac and extend its functionalities to include sync for pro users, but the MacOS sharing extension has not a target release at the moment.

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac