Why is it required to use iCloud drive?

znerk

11 Jan, 2017 09:53 AM

Seriously, why are we required to sync our notes through iCloud drive? I do not use iCloud drive, and I do not want to use it. Why haven't you developed your own sync service, like for example Evernote? That would open tons of possibilities for you. For example, you could develop a web browser based client.

I paid for Bear pro, but I can't even use the themes, cause you require me to enable iCloud drive. Dissapointed.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Jan, 2017 10:35 AM

Hi,

we tried different services but they all have good and bad points, we preferred iCloud drive because we are 3 people and we don't want to be directly responsible for users data and want our user data to be in the hand of someone we don't trust. More info in the link below.

http://www.bear-writer.com/faq/Sync/Syncing%20&%20privacy/

Eventually we'll write our own sync backend or allow other file based cloud platforms ( like DropBox ) but right now we prefer to stay with CloudKit.

I suggest unsubscribe to Bear Pro, if you are still in the free trial period you won't be charged the subscription fee.

http://www.bear-writer.com/faq/Sync/Syncing%20your%20notes%20with%2...

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by znerk on 11 Jan, 2017 11:15 AM

A great answer. Thank you. I am really looking forward to the day when you have your own sync backend. Until then, can you please enable the possibility of using the themes without enabling iCloud drive? They aren't directly related anywa?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Jan, 2017 11:18 AM

We don't really want to sell themes separately, but if more people will request it we'll consider adding a specific in-app purchase.

4. 4 Posted by znerk on 11 Jan, 2017 11:20 AM

But since I already paid for the "premium", I already paid for the themes?

5. 5 Posted by Stephen L on 11 Jan, 2017 09:54 PM

A couple of comments:

1) cloud kit will allow for web apis. https://9to5mac.com/2016/02/05/apple-adds-server-api-to-cloudkit-unlocking-new-developer-possibilities-for-the-icloud-service/

2) I think the user is experiencing the same issue I have. I paid for Pro and it works just fine on my personal iPads and mac. My corporate iPhone is locked out of iCloud. Because of being locked out of iCloud my iPhone can't use the themes.

6. 6 Posted by Mike D on 15 Jan, 2017 07:48 PM

I'm also in a similar situation. I have a mac at work and one at home, both with different iCloud accounts. Which means I can't sync between the two. Which means I'll be staying with Evernote until this is fixed.

What a bummer. Bear is so much better.

7. 7 Posted by wally_bear on 16 Jan, 2017 07:41 AM

Not to be contrarian but I love the fact that it's syncing to iCloud. Personally I would be fine with Dropbox as well, but I'm not too keen on Shinyfrog developing their own syncing solution which stores my data - this opens a whole can of worms w.r.t. privacy, etc...

8. 8 Posted by znerk on 16 Jan, 2017 07:42 AM

I don't often admit when I am wrong, but hey, let's start. I did a full reinstall of my OSX, and installed and setup Bear with iCloud drive. It works great, I admit that!

9. 9 Posted by wally_bear on 16 Jan, 2017 07:47 AM

That's awesome! There are other threads in which sharing notes or multiple iCloud support or other syncing solutions (e.g. Dropbox) were requested so I know the team is looking at it but it would take a while to implement.

There are definitely pros and cons for using a version 1.x product. Personally, I love trying new things and have the patience to wait for the product to mature, aka I'm an early adopter. :-)

10. 10 Posted by Mike D on 16 Jan, 2017 03:35 PM

To be clear, I'm definitely not suggesting thy build their own sync service. I agree, not good wrt privacy. I would, however, like to choose the folder on my drive where the notes are stored. This would open up every option - Dropbox, Google Drive, one Drive, even still iCloud. With that, it would be a no brained to switch immediately.

11. 11 Posted by tod.w on 16 Jan, 2017 09:57 PM

@Mike D: The way Bear was designed, an SQL database is used so discrete notes are not directly Finder accessable.

12. 12 Posted by Daniel DeLorenz... on 28 Mar, 2018 06:54 PM

Hi I have this same issue. I love the app and use it on my personal machines/devices with iCloud - although I would much prefer dropbox. But on my work machine, iCloud is not enabled because we are in a high security environment. Nothing can go to any cloud service of any kind. None the less, I have downloaded bear through the app store, where the purchase/suscription can be verified. I do not see any rationale that explains why verifying the pro purchase needs be coupled with turning on sync, or why it has to happen at the same moment. I cannot get by writing on white all the time. Why on earth can restoring the purchase only happen in the same step as turning on sync? That seem like a deliberate choice to force people to put data in the cloud and its suspicious. If there is a good reason please explain?

13. Support Staff 13 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 29 Mar, 2018 10:44 AM

Hi Daniel,

unfortunately is a very technical problem, I'll try to explain. At the very begin, iCloud Drive was not required for restoring the purchase, but due to the current iTunes subscription API this led various people to duplicate the purchase on both iOS and Mac. To avoid this problem we came out with a method to check the license on CloudKit but requires iCloud Drive to work.

We have 2 possible solutions for this problem, one is hopes for a platform-independent subscription API at the next WWDC. The other one is build our own online license check service (but this risk to be subjected to other security issues).

Cheers.

14. 14 Posted by Daniel DeLorenz... on 29 Mar, 2018 03:13 PM

Thank you for a good explanation. So essentially apple treats iOS apps, and Mac apps as totally separate ecosystem - so people would either have to buy both, which in a subscription model does not make sense.

Heres a question - Can I open the apps package, and manually modify "Default App Theme.theme" and "Default Text Theme.theme" to achieve the look I want?

15. Support Staff 15 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 29 Mar, 2018 04:19 PM

I'm pretty sure MacOS don't allow modifying files inside the bundle of a code-signed app unless you change a lot of file permissions (which I don't suggest).

Also, you'll lose your changes within the next update.

16. 16 Posted by Eva on 10 May, 2018 03:31 PM

For those of you who are unable to use Bear on your work computer--I feel your pain. This is the first application that has required me to enable iCloud Drive to purchase Pro, and of course, iCloud Drive is the ONLY iCloud feature greyed out in my System Preferences.

I strictly use Bear on my work Mac, so I do not even have the need for syncing across devices (though, I wouldn't complain about it) which is even more upsetting :(. Is there any way to disable the sync option for Bear so I do not have to log in to iCloud Drive to restore my purchase on my work Mac? Or, are there any workarounds (I am a web developer, familiar with terminal, not scared of editing application scripts if need be) that I could try to get Bear Pro to work?

Sounding a bit desperate here, I know. But Bear is the exact app I have been looking for! I don't want to turn back now :(

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac