Love it! Feature Suggestion

17 Dec, 2016 03:34 PM

Within minutes of downloading bear, I was impressed enough to go pro.

Todo lists are usually too linear for me, but being able to litter them throughout notes is perfect.

If there were Archive functionality in addition to Trash, I'd be able to safely get rid of a note from the main list, allowing me to use bear like a free-form todo list. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for a great app :)

1. 1 Posted by jim g on 17 Dec, 2016 06:14 PM

I think archiving is in the works. Danilo will give us more details when he comments.

In the meantime, I wanted to describe the way I use tags to accomplish the same purpose. I give all new notes the tag #inbox. I periodically search with @untagged to make sure I haven't missed any. I may go ahead and assign other tags at this point, or I may wait until I'm finished working with the note. I also remove the #inbox tag when I'm finishied with the note. So in essence I've archived all the notes that I don't want to trash, and have a means to sort my archived notes as I desire.

2. 2 Posted by me on 17 Dec, 2016 06:17 PM

This is a good solution! If archiving is in the works, then I'm excited to
    see what happens next :)

3. 3 Posted by jim g on 17 Dec, 2016 06:21 PM

Given my system, I won't use a Trash folder once it's added.

4. 4 Posted by jim g on 17 Dec, 2016 06:21 PM

I mean Archive.

5. 5 Posted by tod.w on 17 Dec, 2016 08:33 PM

@ jim g:

I also want to thank you for your suggestion above. I had no idea that there was such a search criterion as @untagged. It's very helpful. Are there any other hidden @ functions?

6. 6 Posted by jim g on 17 Dec, 2016 09:38 PM

This was copied from the Bear Pro note that comes pre-installed in Bear:

Now, in Bear’s search box, you can type `@todo` or `@task` in to find all your notes that still have tasks to finish. For bonus points, you can also search `@done` to find all notes with tasks that you’ve already completed.

Bear’s search triggers are: `@todo, @task, @done, @code @tagged, @untagged, @files, @images, @attachments`.
    [Check out this video]( to see Bear’s search features in action.

Finally, you can use double quotes to search specific phrases, such as `"bear is cool"`

7. 7 Posted by jim g on 17 Dec, 2016 09:41 PM

8. 8 Posted by tod.w on 18 Dec, 2016 12:14 AM

@ jim g:

Thanks. I must have not been paying attention when I skimmed the FAQs.

I appreciate your contributions to this forum.

9. 9 Posted by jim g on 18 Dec, 2016 03:34 AM

Thanks tod. I really like the Bear app and want to see the devs succeed. Shiny Frog is a small operation and I know it's difficult for them to juggle support and programming. I want to try and help out by providing assistance where I feel like I can.

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Dec, 2016 10:29 AM

I confirm we are working on an Archive functionality.

11. 11 Posted by mikeglass on 26 Apr, 2017 04:15 PM

+1 to the suggestion. Would make my life complete.

12. 12 Posted by nluoma on 01 Feb, 2018 01:52 PM

+1 to archive. I do all my initial writing in Bear (I'm a tech writer amongst other things) and I want to be able to archive all my "published" content. I've been using the tag approach, but it means remembering to add the filter every time I change projects.

13. 13 Posted by Roar on 02 Feb, 2018 04:39 AM

I would really like:
    - read-only option on all notes in archive. - That way I can copy parts without risking accidental changes. - Archive has to be searchable, but separate from main search, (will use as repository of snippets, quotes, published articles. old stuff to reuse) - Maybe have an easy edit override (in case something has to be changed) on single notes (in archive), but returns to read-only once done. - Maybe also a manual read-only switch on regular notes (not in archive) as well? - Select, Share, and copy … should be available, and iOS keyboard should not pop up on read-only notes. - Maybe such select/copy also in trash, now you cannot copy anything from notes in trash! But Bears love trash! Now they are locked out ;(

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac