Change the language in iOS app

aloissis

17 Dec, 2016 04:51 AM

I use an iPad in portuguese. Bear was installed with everything written in spanish. I wish I could change this, if no tô portuguese, to English. Not possible?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 17 Dec, 2016 01:26 PM

Hi,

Bear uses the language you have in the iOS preferences, the only way to have Bear into another language is to change it.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by aloissis on 19 Dec, 2016 12:19 AM

Hi Danilo!

Bear is not identifying correctly the language, I think, because in my Mac and in my iPhone it's in English, but in my iPad is in Spanish.

I'd like it to be in English. Can you guys help me out?

Regards,

--
    Alessandro Assis

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Dec, 2016 10:03 AM

I'm afraid Bear ( and any other localised app ) works as I described above and I can't do anything about it.

4. 4 Posted by aloissis on 19 Dec, 2016 02:26 PM

I think you didn't understand.

If something is supposed to work as "described" and then it doesn't, that is called a bug.

You guys don't seem worried about addressing a bug and honestly this tone of response seems rude and shows no concern about customer. I was really thinking about change Evernote and other apps I use to write and use Bear instead, because the app is beautiful e full of great features.

But if this is the treatment I will get when I need support, maybe that's not the right call.

--
    Alessandro Assis

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 21 Dec, 2016 10:07 AM

Hi Alessandro,

Localised Apps available on the Mac/iOS App contains translations in various languages. When the App start iOS/Mac send it an identifier which tells the app which language to use. If the language specified is not available in the app ( like Portuguese ), iOS/Mac send the second language chosen by the user in preferences. Developers don't have to implement this procedure, but just declare which languages are provided and the translated strings.

I'm sorry it felt rude, but please understand we can't do anything about it.

Cheers.

6. 6 Posted by aloissis on 21 Dec, 2016 01:30 PM

Hi Danilo,

That’s just what I was looking for. I really don’t understand why you say you can do nothing about it. If you just told me to change the languages in user preferences, I’d do just that.

By the way, I changed the order of languages and Spanish was actually in second place, as you suggested. But I had to reinstall the app to get English as the language in menus and tutorials.

Thanks,

--
    Alessandro Assis

On 21 de dez de 2016 08:07 -0200, Danilo Bonardi <[email blocked]>, wrote:

7. 7 Posted by David on 03 Mar, 2018 07:39 PM

I am experiencing a similar problem. Although my phone preferences show English as mi preferred language Bear defaults to Spanish. Is there something that can be done to fix this?

Best,
    David

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 05 Mar, 2018 10:50 AM

Hi David,

can you try to restart your phone? Maybe a reboot is required to propagate the preference to the apps.

Cheers.

9. 9 Posted by David E. Manosa... on 05 Mar, 2018 05:29 PM

Hi Danilo,

I already tried a restart on both my phone and watch (thats where the problem really is as dictation takes the default language). I also uninstalled and reinstalled the app in both devices and no change. Nothing seems to work… any other ideas or am I just out of luck?

Best,
    David

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Mar, 2018 09:13 AM

Hi David,

just for test, if you open Notes do you see it in English or Spanish?

11. 11 Posted by David E. Manosa... on 06 Mar, 2018 05:03 PM

Hi Danilo,

Notes opens in english. I decided to try something new… I uninstalled the Bear app from my watch, then changed the language in my phone to english and then reinstalled it in my watch. This did the trick somehow, but now my watch only works in english, which is fine for me but might be a bug…

Thank you for your help,
    David

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 07 Mar, 2018 09:46 AM

Hi David,

thanks, this can be very useful for people with similar problem. I guess this means app localisations are not always correctly updated by the OS in some cases, I think all we can do is try to simulate the issue and file a bug report with Apple.

Cheers.

13. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 07 Mar, 2018 09:46 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac