Feature Request: Search PDFs

Chris Marslender

17 Dec, 2016 02:42 AM

Hello!

So far, really liking this tool, and seriously considering switching from evernote. I think the only thing that I use on a fairly regular basis with evernote that I don't think is supported here is the ability to search the content of a PDF. That would be a really awesome feature!

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 17 Dec, 2016 11:59 AM

Hi Chris,

you are not the first who ask for this feature. Honestly have jet to study the problem, but I think it's doable.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by drakez on 23 Dec, 2016 10:53 PM

OCR in PDFs would be a game changer for my use of Bear.

This and markdown tables would make Bear my app for almost all my work! So glad to see the awesome ideas here! Keep up the great work, it is much appreciated!

3. 3 Posted by drakez on 02 Feb, 2017 06:59 PM

I didn't want to create a new thread for this, but did want to know if there was any news on this front with OCR and PDFs?

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 03 Feb, 2017 09:26 AM

Hi,

we don't have any relevant news on the subject.

Cheers.

5. 5 Posted by Kat on 02 May, 2017 01:43 PM

Just chiming in with another vote for OCR!

The note formatting, organization, and overall experience is far better in Bear than Evernote. The one thing keeping me from switching is OCR. I scan a lot of my handwritten notes, and Evernote is awesome at both capturing and searching through those. If Bear ever lets me do the same, I'll definitely be making the switch.

6. 6 Posted by Björn on 22 May, 2017 03:42 PM

This is another great feature I too would love to see implemented.

7. 7 Posted by Jeremy on 30 Jun, 2017 01:54 AM

Bear Pro User here. Please make OCR a priority.

8. 8 Posted by Carlos on 22 Nov, 2017 08:27 AM

Bear Pro User too. Please make OCR a priority, is a key to migrate from Evernote.

9. 9 Posted by Ari on 30 Dec, 2017 09:17 AM

Want to switch to Bear but Evernote's search is so useful due to OCR. Would love to see this feature added. I'm sure it can be done via some cloud-based solution for Pro users so that the app itself keeps a minimal memory footprint.

10. 10 Posted by Christopher Mon... on 16 May, 2018 12:26 AM

Another vote for better PDF support. OCR is essential but even just searching inside PDFs is a huge feature that Evernote still provides and Bear doesn't. I would looooooove to make the switch but I can't give up the ability to search inside PDFs.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac