Support for LaTeX for mathematical equations

Michael Diolosa

17 Dec, 2016 02:26 AM

I've been migrating my notes from Ulysses over to Bear and have noticed there is no support (that I could find) for displaying mathematical equations using LaTeX. This is a feature supported by Ulysses, and as a software engineer that works with AI and machine learning, it would be great to be able to see some of my algorithms' equations within my notes in the way I can in Ulysses:

https://ulyssesapp.com/blog/2016/11/eline-explains-5/

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 17 Dec, 2016 12:00 PM

Hi MIcheal,

yes, Latex/MathJax is on our todo list.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Michael Diolosa on 18 Dec, 2016 03:11 PM

Awesome! glad to hear it, looking forward to having that feature!

3. 3 Posted by Andrés Duarte on 22 Mar, 2017 09:22 PM

I was wondering if your still pursuing this

4. Support Staff 4 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 23 Mar, 2017 08:45 AM

@andrés Yes it is.

5. 5 Posted by Jareality on 07 Apr, 2017 01:28 PM

Same here -- I currently struggle to incorporate equations in my notes. Look forward to having that feature and kindly keep as posted.

6. 6 Posted by Iliyan on 08 Apr, 2017 10:55 PM

I'm also impatiently waiting for LaTeX equation support. So far the most convenient Markdown editor with equation support I've found is Typora. But Typora is only that - a text editor, and I need a note-taking app.

7. 7 Posted by steviexie on 13 Apr, 2017 10:38 PM

Support for LaTeX would really make Bear stand out to university students who take digital notes - personally, support for math equations would turn Bear into my notebook of choice.

8. 8 Posted by Gareth on 18 May, 2017 04:15 AM

Agreed. As a university student I find myself using Bear to take notes for a lot of my classes but I'm prevented from totally moving over to it by the lack of math mode.

9. 9 Posted by Yixin on 18 May, 2017 07:50 AM

I am a theoretical researcher and plan to use Bear to take notes for projects. It is important for me that the math equations can be input using a LaTex string and display nicely. Thanks!

10. 10 Posted by Jonathan on 25 May, 2017 09:51 PM

+1
    I think mathjax support will put this note app way ahead of any other software out there.
    At the moment, the only alternative giving well structured, functional latex/mathjax support with WYSIWYG is Typora, which have implemented it very well.

However Typora lacks the organizational support of Bear.

Having this feature will make Bear a killer-app. There is a large community of theoreticians/mathematicians/technical writers or others that are in constant search for a good organizational solution for mathematical and technical notes.

11. 11 Posted by Daniel on 29 May, 2017 01:19 AM

+1
    Seems like there's no note app that does everything - bear is the easiest to use, just that it's missing LaTeX

12. 12 Posted by Chris on 06 Jun, 2017 12:33 AM

I would love to use Bear to replace my current Evernote and LaTeXit combo, but until it supports latex equations (consider using the KaTex.js or MathJax.js libraries) I cannot consider migrating.

I am waiting excitedly to jump the Evernote ship and board Bear.

13. 13 Posted by Saivan Hamama on 16 Jun, 2017 03:21 AM

If you're going to integrate latex and mathjax, I think supporting asciimath http://asciimath.org/ alongside latex, makes alot of sense; especially for people who aren't familiar with latex.

Asciimath is hugely simpler to use, and integration is already built into MathJax :) This would be awesome, and I'd be super keen to try it!

14. 14 Posted by Blake Blacksmit... on 16 Jun, 2017 03:25 AM

Despite what the person in the last comment requested, please do not waste your time integrating asciimath.

I work extensively in mathematics.

Myself and all of my colleagues use latex notation for typesetting equations.

It is THE golden standard for manual equation writting (as in without a WYSIWYG editor).

I do not mean to be rude to Saivan but honestly when I see asciimath on a website or in an application it makes me cringe!

15. 15 Posted by Saivan Hamama on 16 Jun, 2017 03:39 AM

I also "work extensively in mathematics" :P The point is not whether latex is the golden standard or not. The whole point of markdown is to have a document that is publishable as-is and is readable as a text file.

I've been writing latex for years, and I understand the love a lot of people have for it, myself included for so long. But I think you'll agree that latex is not "human readable" :P It has a lot of extra markup that just doesn't need to be there.

Of course for people who don't know latex, and are using bear for say- a school assignment, typing:

++
    1/(1+1/(1+1/2
    ++

and having the excellent parser figure out that they have a slight error, is much better than the latex equivalent:

$$
    \frac{1}{1 + \frac{1}{1+\frac{1}{2}}}
    $$

I'm not arguing that latex or asciimath are better or worse than eachother. I just think that for a beginner who has never used a math typesetter before, asciimath can achieve almost everything latex can, and its much easier to learn and quite frankly; looks alot more "in place" in a markdown document.

The other main point to make, is that bear isn't just supposed to support professionals (as far as I know), so having support for asciimath shouldn't significantly impact you.

But of course, its up to the amazing devs to decide what will happen with their product :)

Congratulations again on the design award guys!

16. 16 Posted by Blake Blacksmit... on 16 Jun, 2017 03:46 AM

I would strongly argue that Latex is more explicit and thus easier to read then its shorthand cousin. This is an opinion that is commonly shared among Markdown editors that support equations, such as (to name a few):

Stackedit: https://stackedit.io/
    Typora: https://typora.io/
    Madoko: https://www.madoko.net/
    Archimedes: http://www.mattrajca.com/archimedes/
    Caret: https://caret.io/
    Editor.md: https://pandao.github.io/editor.md/en.html

17. 17 Posted by Saivan Hamama on 16 Jun, 2017 04:03 AM

I don't think anybody would reasonably argue that latex is easier to read. I think the main reason these don't include support for asciimath is because asciimath itself is not so popular right now.

Asciimath was written and is maintained by one of the head developers of mathjax, and for what it needs to do, it does it really well.

Either way, I have no business entering into an argument about which math typsetter to use in bear. But the argument that "others don't do it, therefore I shouldn't" is a pretty bad one.

This is ultimately a decision that the devs should decide upon :) I just think that when advertising to the public "easy math integration" can only be claimed if somebody with no prior experience can input an equation easily.

I'm suggesting asciimath the average consumer could easily be up to speed with asciimath in a few minutes :P the same can't be said for latex.

18. 18 Posted by Blake Blacksmit... on 16 Jun, 2017 04:13 AM

The fact that you (Saivan) are the only one, out of many who requested equation support, who has brought up asciimath should tell you indeed that "asciimath itself is not so popular right now". Which should a developer consider the popular decision or the less popular and in my opinion more confusing format for manual equation write.

Asciimath has never and, in my opinion, will likely never be as popular or as I asserted before EASIER than latex to use.

But of course, by all means developers as competent as those at Bear should consider as many options as possible when implementing new features.

Hopefully then listen to the majority of equation requests rather than the ONE esoteric format user.

19. 19 Posted by Lukko on 18 Jun, 2017 03:24 PM

Any updates regarding Latex support?

20. Support Staff 20 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Jun, 2017 05:13 AM

Hi,

some month ago we let users vote about which feature their prefer to be implemented between tables, encryption and latex/math support. Latex was the third most requested so we'll address when we'll have tables and encryption.

Cheers.

21. 21 Posted by Yukimoto on 07 Aug, 2017 05:03 AM

Oh, sad to heard that I want LaTeX so bad.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac