Ability to edit a note's creation date?

John Lee

15 Dec, 2016 02:36 PM

Is it possible to add the ability to change a note's creation date? I have a bunch of notes copied from simplenote but would like for them to retain their original creation dates.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 16 Dec, 2016 09:00 AM

Hi John,

right now is not possible to edit the note's dates, but we will add this functionality in the next updates.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Dave MacCorkell on 22 Feb, 2017 09:38 PM

Just following up on this - is this functionality available in the app or mac version, would be very useful.

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Martin on 05 Mar, 2017 01:29 AM

This would be super useful! Then I could use Bear as a journaling app.

4. 4 Posted by lp on 22 Mar, 2017 04:46 PM

up !! That would be much appreciated !

5. 5 Posted by Andy on 25 Mar, 2017 09:22 PM

What about setting the creation date of a duplicated note to now()? When I create a new note by duplicating a template note, I don't like that the new note has the template's creation date. Maybe that's not desired in general for duplicated notes, but I'm using duplication only from notes that serve as a template.

6. 6 Posted by Alex on 26 May, 2017 02:54 PM

up!
    Need to change it when forgot to make a note in my diary for the day before.

7. 7 Posted by Darren W. on 30 Jul, 2017 05:36 PM

I'd also like this feature.
    My use-case would be that I'm looking to invest in pro, but want to migrate my existing notes to Bear - this is currently copy and pasting my content from various places to Bear.

8. 8 Posted by Achim on 20 Sep, 2017 12:39 PM

I also really need this feature - pleeaase :)
    I have to copy all my notes over from simplenote, and now all the original creation dates are lost :(

9. 9 Posted by Philosophus on 28 Sep, 2017 08:30 PM

Yes, please, it‘s almost a year since you made the promise of adding this. It would make the app considerably more useful.

10. 10 Posted by John Lee on 28 Sep, 2017 10:45 PM

Come on guys! We love your new and fancy features but sometimes it's the little things and knowing were being listened to that matter the most!

Remember Evernote?

11. 11 Posted by Simon Ridsdale on 26 Oct, 2017 06:47 PM

Hi Guys, I am a Bear Pro subscriber and this would also be the single most important new feature for me please. I seem to be using a combination of Evernote and Bear right now and really want to bring everything over from Evernote but I need to be able to set custom creation dates for certain notes.

12. 12 Posted by Defeng Lin on 27 Nov, 2017 05:11 AM

yes same here, considering importing into bear but need the creation date to remain as original (just a small feat and you can use bear as a journelling app too)

13. 13 Posted by Tanner Larson on 09 Jan, 2018 04:11 AM

I would find that useful for people migrating to bear from another app!

14. 14 Posted by Martien on 05 Feb, 2018 04:30 PM

Definitely need this as somehow one note has a creation date a year from now and constantly stays on top of my view. Very annoying.

15. 15 Posted by Simon Ridsdale on 05 Feb, 2018 04:35 PM

Hi again guys,

Still no news on this after it was suggested it would be added in next update back at the end of 2016! I CANNOT migrate from Evernote until this simply feature is added. Would hugely appreciate of when this might be added. Thanks.

16. 16 Posted by Martien on 05 Feb, 2018 04:37 PM

If you only could export a note to XML, change the creation date, and import it again. That would already be extremely helpful.

Should I switch back to Evernote again?

17. 17 Posted by John Lee on 05 Feb, 2018 05:14 PM

Some feedback from the developers would be nice, since we are you know... paying customers and all!

18. Support Staff 18 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Feb, 2018 09:21 AM

Hi Everybody,

dates editing is still on our todo list, but unfortunately, other features are more requested by the community and we are focalizing our efforts on them (web, tables, password lock, archive...). Also, some tests in date editing showed eventual problems with note syncing as the dates are a crucial part of the note synchronization algorithm, and will require some work and a lot of testing.

Cheers.

19. 19 Posted by Alan on 02 Mar, 2018 01:31 PM

I'll add my voice to those looking for the ability to edit the creation date of a note!

20. 20 Posted by Johan Marand on 03 Apr, 2018 03:30 AM

I suggest adding the possibility to add a new modifiable "custom date" instead, keeping creation date and modified date intact (especially if modifying them causes sync problems). Also important to be able to sort by this "custom date" in preferences (So if a custom date on a note exists, use that, and if not use creation date).

Have a look at the MacOS app "Agenda", which focuses on having timelines for your notes, and does this very nicely.

Being able to have a similar timeline in Bear would be great for i.e. a diary, or a work project where the date order of events (notes) is important. Having a modifiable "custom date" would solve this.

21. 21 Posted by Joachim Tecklen... on 03 Apr, 2018 07:18 AM

Yes, I think that is a very good idea!

22. 22 Posted by josh on 07 Apr, 2018 01:49 AM

Biggest reason I would like to change modification date is that I'm coming from Evernote (which I've grown to hate for its bloatedness) and not everything synced flawlessly... so I'm having to modify a lot of notes... some as old as 7 yrs... that I don't really want to show that are "modified" and therefore at the top of my notes. I'd like to be able to adjust that modification date back to the originally last modified date.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac