Hide markdown syntax

bya

11 Dec, 2016 08:30 AM

Hi team.

Is there any option to use Markdown syntax but hide it from the editor. I see that some syntaxes such as headers and lists are already hidden from the editor, but the other like underline, bold, strike and so on are not.

1. 1 Posted by Long Do on 12 Dec, 2016 04:57 AM

I want this feature also, it makes me confuse when seeing the syntax of Markdown, however, I need the ability to write note as markdown

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 12 Dec, 2016 09:59 AM

Hi,

we are studying solutions to allow what you are asking, but it will require some time/work.

Cheers.

3. 3 Posted by Keven on 31 Jan, 2017 03:18 PM

Hi, I like Bear very much, but I would also like to hide the Markdown syntax.

Regards.

4. 4 Posted by Neil Barman on 13 Mar, 2017 01:12 PM

Hi - I'm looking for a way to hide all the markdown (is that the right word?) within my notes. For example, I don't want to see "H1" written next to a headline, and I don't want to see the asterisks on either side of a bolded word. I just want to see all the formatting without any of the markdown. Is this possible?

5. 5 Posted by Lance on 15 Mar, 2017 02:53 PM

In addition, I would love if the ``` quotes around code blocks were not visible.

6. 6 Posted by Khemanorak on 20 Mar, 2017 06:59 PM

I hope this feature will available soon, because I want to use markdown when I write but when I read I just want to see text rendered. It like a webpage but instead of only see the results I also seeing HTML tag.

7. 7 Posted by Andy on 25 Mar, 2017 09:25 PM

Oh yeah, that would be nice! Cleaner writing, but what's even more important to me is that the exported/printed docs have line breaks at different places than in the editor because those don't display the meta characters and therefore, may fit a word more into the line.

8. 8 Posted by Đỗ Trọng Long on 25 Mar, 2017 11:43 PM

Thanks in advance,
    *Long Do Trong*
    *E* [email blocked]
    *P* 09 1450 1450

This e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are
    not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of
    it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all
    copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.
    Internet communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely, secure, error or
    virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or
    omissions.
    "SAVE THE PLANET - THINK CARE BEFORE PRINT!"

9. 9 Posted by Dingler on 07 May, 2017 09:31 PM

+1

I am not willing to try the app just because how much this is bothering me already. Everything was great until this. :(

10. 10 Posted by Sam on 09 Jun, 2017 01:30 PM

I came to know Bear through the apple award. I downloaded it and like it. However the lack of its ability to hide markdown syntax is a non-starter for me.

11. 11 Posted by Jimgar on 25 Jun, 2017 03:19 PM

Like the other posters above, I am also wondering if hiding the markdown syntax will be a future feature. Bear is a great program but I'm not a web writer so seeing H1, H2, and *bold* is useless to me. If you made this happen, you'd have millions of people jumping ship from Evernote.

12. 12 Posted by es on 10 Jul, 2017 06:17 PM

I'd also love to see this feature. As much as I like the convenience of using an asterisk to make a word Bold, I don't really need a reminder of such asterisk for every bold word — it's already bold enough :)
    So, hiding the markdown syntax completely would be awesome and make the reading experience much cleaner

13. 13 Posted by Kurt on 10 Jul, 2017 11:37 PM

Same here - I downloaded the app because I heard good things, but I will be immediately deleting it now that I've seen that all the formatting is impossible to hide. It's a shame, what could be a beautiful app just ends up looking messy.

14. 14 Posted by Charles on 10 Jul, 2017 11:47 PM

Can you also hide H1, H2, H3 as well? These are great to have but really annoying after writing it out.

It would be great if there was a way to toggle these on and off, it's the ONLY thing stopping me from using this app!

15. 15 Posted by Ayyya on 18 Jul, 2017 02:52 AM

As a developer, I wanted to use Bear to keep notes on handy commands that I use a lot but can't often remember. Since Bear keeps the formatting around code blocks, it makes it inconvenient to copy those commands quickly for use. Would be great if this could be fixed. Otherwise, Bear is great.

16. 16 Posted by Alper Mat on 21 Jul, 2017 09:20 AM

+1 from me. I also do a lot of copy/pasting from the app. Would love to see this.

17. 17 Posted by Brandon on 26 Jul, 2017 03:36 PM

+1 This is starting to become an annoyance. I love Bear's clean unobtrusive UI, it seems only natural that you should be able to hide these distractions.

18. 18 Posted by Dingler on 26 Jul, 2017 04:49 PM

Come on Bear! Push this to the top of your backlog.
    I bet there is a big number of users who don't care at all about seeing the markdown syntax. And there is a small number of us who find it very annoying. But I guarantee there are zero users saying "Wow, seeing the markdown syntax is awesome, I wish I could make those h1,h2 even larger!" :)

19. 19 Posted by courthoo on 28 Jul, 2017 04:52 PM

Yes, agreed! Please make this an option!

20. 20 Posted by Neil Shah on 30 Jul, 2017 02:42 PM

I would also like to throw my +1 in here -- this would be great.

21. 21 Posted by Matthew Kirchma... on 02 Aug, 2017 11:29 PM

I just bought Bear Pro and am so disappointed that I cannot disable the markdown syntax. I will probably use it for a month and then offload it. Bummer.

22. 22 Posted by matthew.mcguire on 03 Aug, 2017 09:55 PM

+1 on this feature. Purchased pro, but disabled my subscription. If they add this feature I will continue to pay for pro.

23. 23 Posted by Jeremy on 05 Aug, 2017 05:14 AM

+1 having a toggle to hide/show the markdown would be very nice. Thanks.

24. 24 Posted by OderWat on 08 Aug, 2017 10:01 AM

I love the way Bear shows the markdown in general. What I need is a "pretty" mode for making screens or to copy text like code snippets without running into the markdown markers (e.g. ```). I won't use Bear anymore if I can't simply type/paste markdown into the editor. I hate using the menu or buttons for formatting. My suggestion is to just create quick "hotkey access" read-only "pretty" mode for bear and keep the editor as is. Imho people which want a "rich-text editor" have other options. Bear should stay with it current scope.

25. 25 Posted by Giffen on 13 Aug, 2017 04:47 AM

"we are studying solutions to allow what you are asking, but it will require some time/work." - Dec 06, 2016

After 10 months. How much time do you think you need?

26. 26 Posted by Aleksey on 30 Aug, 2017 09:13 PM

+1 for an ability to hide a markup. Really annoying when you're trying to focus on the text but stuck on that extra symbols here and there

27. 27 Posted by Jess on 31 Aug, 2017 09:42 AM

Would 100% immediately jump ship from Evernote and buy a full year sub if there was a way to hide the ugly asterisks and extra symbols.

Are you guys working on this? The app is beautiful but I just cannot use it until the ability to hide that ugly syntax is possible.

28. 28 Posted by Eddie on 02 Sep, 2017 04:37 PM

+1 on hiding the markup, quite distracting & annonying

29. 29 Posted by Rob on 04 Sep, 2017 01:12 PM

yes please! something like show/hide formatting?

30. 30 Posted by Trini on 07 Sep, 2017 04:30 PM

+1 for me as well

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac