Hide markdown syntax

bya

11 Dec, 2016 08:30 AM

Hi team.

Is there any option to use Markdown syntax but hide it from the editor. I see that some syntaxes such as headers and lists are already hidden from the editor, but the other like underline, bold, strike and so on are not.

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by Ronen S on 19 Jan, 2018 05:44 AM

I see the value of the markdown, and find it very useful. But as a writer, sometimes a blank page is invaluable. Having the option to hide markdown would just add a degree of flexibility to Bear that would expand its feature set to better compete with Evernote, as well as appeal to a wider demographic. We all use software differently, and adding simple features like this go a long way to making Bear accessible to creatives.

2. 62 Posted by David Wain on 19 Jan, 2018 06:00 AM

Agree with Ronen and speaking for myself (and I think others) we are not
    asking Bear to change its stripes. I don’t want it to be a rich text editor
    - you are misunderstanding the request. We just want an option to hide the
    markers. Your suggestion to “ look for alternatives” is not viable — the
    point is we love Bear for all that it is and all the ways it’s unique. Just
    add this one thing then it will be complete

3. 63 Posted by Jason on 19 Jan, 2018 06:38 AM

Tom, you need to realize that not all users are like you. We also use Bear daily and that's where this feedback is coming from - our experience. I love Bear - it's simple. But as others have said, sometimes its nicer to have a clean sheet. What harm would there be in adding that option. I promise you that for each of us on this thread asking for this feature, there are many more that agree.

And the complaints were not aimed at the app, but at the fact that there was no response from Shiny Frog for so long. That said, thank you to Danilo for eventually replying. It's good to know you are aware of the request and investigating solutions. This is really one worth going after.

4. 64 Posted by Tom Landgraeber on 19 Jan, 2018 07:43 AM

Guys, I hear you!

I think there is a misunderstanding of what Markdown is and how it works. The idea behind Markdown is to have a simple (plain) text document (TXT) that is extremely small (just a few KB) and that is readable and editable with almost any text app on the planet. Today and in many years to come.

The trick is that Markdown apps recognize the markup and render it to beautifully designed text in different formats (RTF, HTML, PDF, etc.) and many of them are able to produce a preview of the final result. Unfortunately, it’s technically impossible to edit Markdown without viewing the syntax. App developers can gray it out and try other things to make the markup less distracting, but they cannot make it completely invisible when editing (because the entire document is just plain text).

That’s why I suggested to add a “Swipe to preview” feature. Pretty much like the one in iA Writer. In Edit mode a brief swipe to the left renders a shiny, PDF-like preview of the content - without any markup. Just the styled text. A swipe to the right brings you back to the Edit (Markdown) mode. I think such a build-in, easy-to-use preview feature would be a compromise.

I can understand people who do not like to write in Markdown. The markup syntax can be cumbersome and disturbing. Those who prefer editing their copy on a "clean sheet" are definitely better off with RichText (RTF). It’s just that simple.

So I think I don't "need to realize" anything, @Jason. But you guys need to understand that Markdown has technical limitations. If you can't accept markup in your copy, you need to use RichText-based apps (Evernote, Apple Notes, Pages, MS Word or OneNote, etc.). But please stop bitching Bear for its Markdown nature. Thanks!

5. 65 Posted by Martien on 05 Feb, 2018 05:45 PM

+1 for being able to toggle visibility of MD.

I like to work in the simplest and cleanest, yet structured text. Having dimmed Hx in the margin is great (should also be togglable. Having ** and such in the running text, rather not.

6. 66 Posted by erik on 25 Mar, 2018 02:24 PM

I've found a workaround, and that is to change the color in the settings file:

1. goto the application
    2. Show content
    3. find the file: Default text theme.theme
    4 find the entry <string>Style Marker Text Color</string>
    5. replace the rgb value with 255 255 255
    6. save the file
    7. restart bear, or goto settings, and reselect the default style

7. 67 Posted by David Kizler on 05 Apr, 2018 03:30 PM

Another vote to have an option to write and preview without seeing **astericks**. all over the document. Being able to write in markdown but not see clutter all over the screen would be very helpful.

8. 68 Posted by Alper Mat on 05 Apr, 2018 03:32 PM

--
    Alper Mat

9. 69 Posted by miller.blair on 06 Apr, 2018 03:45 PM

I have to agree with Tom (#64 above). Bear is billed as a Markdown editor (though it’s easy to understand the confusion, given Markdown isn’t mentioned once on the Bear homepage). If you don't want to see or use Markdown, there are plenty of editors out there that will meet your needs.

Having said that…

You'll notice on iOS, the keyboard doesn't appear until after you've selected a note and tapped on the text. On macOS, you can't make changes to a note until you click on the text, hit the [Enter] key, etc. If it were up to me (and it’s not), I would hide the Markdown formatting characters until a note is actually being edited. The problem — and this is the problem with combining editing and viewing Markdown on the same screen in general — is that the text is going to hop around somewhere between a bit and OMGWTFSHAPPENING?!WHEREDIDMYBEAUTIFULHEADINGGO?! depending on how much formatting gets hidden/shown.

I suspect this is why implementing tables is taking so long, too.

10. 70 Posted by Josh Perkins on 07 Apr, 2018 02:31 AM

YES. What miller.blair said... that would be awesome. In "Viewing Mode" the markdown is hidden... in editing mode, it appears.

Or a simple settings preference would suffice. [ ] Hide Markdown.

It doesn't have to be that complicated. But it really is needed. It hurts no one by adding the option.

I just downloaded Bear today and it is the only thing annoying about the app... yes, I'm coming from Evernote... but I much prefer the basic tools and simplicity of Bear.

11. 71 Posted by Brandon Minch on 09 Apr, 2018 02:52 PM

/// Brandon Minch
    Co-Founder & Chief Creative Officer
    [email blocked]

12. 72 Posted by Sophia on 09 Apr, 2018 09:13 PM

I'm a Bear Pro user and generally like the app. Sadly, not being able to copy and paste without buggy ********formatting********* is a show-stopper. I have switch back to Evernote if some sort of solution for this doesn't appear soon.

13. 73 Posted by Trini Lopez on 09 Apr, 2018 09:23 PM

I understand this is a markup editor, and that makes this request technically complex. But as Evernote becomes bulkier and more expensive, there is a huge opportunity to capitalize on Evernote's failings and capture their fleeing customers. Bear is the closest in design/functionality I've found to Evernote, and better designed in almost every way. I actually like the markup format as well. It's just that for writers and creatives, visual aesthetics is crucial in creating a supportive work environment. Being able to hide the hashtags especially, if there was a way to make it happen technically, would be an absolutely killer feature that could enable Bear to eat Evernote's lunch.

(There's a grizzly bear joke in here somewhere but I got distracted by markup formatting)

14. 74 Posted by Laszlo Grama on 26 May, 2018 07:11 PM

Let me add one more request for being able to hide the markup formatting. For example, when I double-click to copy a line of code the code markup gets copied too. So annoying! Please consider our request. Thank you!

15. 75 Posted by Dreu on 06 Jul, 2018 03:46 PM

Bear should just borrow some functionality from shinyfrog. Right below this text field I'm typing in is the option to switch back and forth from plain text to markdown.

16. 76 Posted by Matt on 06 Jul, 2018 04:56 PM

Have a look at Quiver as a Bear alternative. It supports Markdown edit and preview modes, includes several themes, doesn't require iCloud Drive to sync. And it's a $10 one-time purchase. Not quite as elegant, but everything you need is there.

17. 77 Posted by Ronen S on 06 Jul, 2018 05:02 PM

Quiver does not have the feature being discussed here, and the iOS app is read-only.

18. 78 Posted by rdalbanus on 19 Jul, 2018 03:52 PM

*Absolutely a +1 for toggle hiding markdown symbols*. I like seeing the markup in general, but sometimes it makes it ::much harder to focus::. I work with /bioinformatics/ and there's a lot of italics for /gene names/ (versus _protein_ names) mixed with `commands` and [reference websites](⛓) and the whole thing starts getting ugly *pretty fast*.
    Markdown left off in this post on purpose ;)

19. 79 Posted by Drew on 08 Sep, 2018 03:20 PM

I have to agree with this. Having markdown symbols visible throughout the document is an eyesore and is the opposite of a distraction-free, elegant writing experience. I understand the value of markdown and what Bear is accomplishing by using it. Markdown is great, but there needs to be a view option to hide the symbols.

There are other editors that have this ability to view the document without markdown symbols (Day One, etc), so I don't see why that can't be implemented in Bear.

20. 80 Posted by Danny on 29 Sep, 2018 01:27 AM

Is this ever going to happen? This is literally the only thing keeping me from using Bear

21. 81 Posted by David Wain on 29 Sep, 2018 06:01 AM

me too

22. 82 Posted by Adam on 16 Oct, 2018 10:15 PM

@#11 "Bear is a great program but I'm not a web writer so seeing H1, H2, and *bold* is useless to me. If you made this happen, you'd have millions of people jumping ship from Evernote."

This statement. Shiny Frog, change can be hard. But I'm sure many have downloaded Bear from its awards publicity, then deleted it because it's Markdown. Want to put Evernote under and make millions happy with the best note taking app in the world? Cater to both Markdown and non-Markdown crowds.

If someone else mimics Bear's interface and other features and makes an app to make an app to appeal to the both the Markdown crowd AND the other millions, it would be a sad day for shiny frog. All they need to do is compromise by making a dual platform, one with just the TXT document, and the other with RTF. Everyone wins. The RTF guys lose a bit on performance, but they probably don't care. They just want an app better than Evernote and Notes. The Markdown guys also with a switch toggle get to keep their lovely system.

Man, if I were capable of this, I'd be all over it! What a market opportunity…to make EVERYONE happy!

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac