Hide markdown?

Chris

05 Dec, 2016 02:56 AM

Is there any way to hide the markdown codes? The H1, H3's are that annoying but when I bold a word I wish it didn't show the asterisks around the word.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Dec, 2016 09:42 AM

Hi Chris,

we are studying solutions to visualise the notes as rich text only.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Will on 03 Mar, 2017 03:54 PM

I'd like this also - marks are distracting for reading...

3. 3 Posted by Nikolay on 29 Mar, 2017 12:25 PM

Cool!
    I like too use Bear without visual mark (as simple rtf)

Please add this future!!!!

4. 4 Posted by Junho Park on 12 Apr, 2017 09:00 AM

I think, this option is very necessary for user experience. writing is important. but To read content is most important thing to using this app. It's make me hard to read.

5. 5 Posted by Peter Shay on 17 Sep, 2017 04:35 PM

I'd like this option as well. Trying out simpler alternatives to Evernote - I like the potential of Bear a lot - but most of time, I want the formatting settings to not be this front and center.

6. 6 Posted by bear.gandalf99 on 30 Mar, 2018 06:43 PM

I am looking for an alternative to EN. Used to love it, but in order to sync more than 2 devices, you have to pay $35/yr. now & the app is getting quite complicated. $15/yr to sync is definitely an improvement, though since Bear's using iCloud, I can't see why you should have to pay at all. But I digress. My main point is to agree with this thread & ask if there's been any progress since early December of 2016 when you said you were looking into it? As one solution you could explore if you haven't found a good one yet, check out Wordpress. I use it for my website & in their editing interface they have 2 tabs: "Visual" & "Text" which shows the markdown (or whatever they use). Simple to switch back & forth. I think the only time I go into text mode is to troubleshoot something that doesn't look right. I'm still too new with Bear to say for sure, but it seems like it could be an ideal solution if markdown could be hidden when desired & if the free version included syncing.

7. 7 Posted by bear.gandalf99 on 21 Apr, 2018 06:30 PM

It's been 17½ months since you said you were looking into this! Could you please let us know what, if anything, is happening and when we might expect a solution? 1½ years is a long time to be silent!

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 23 Apr, 2018 08:52 AM

Hi,

if I remember correctly I replied to some other thread but I don't have very meaningful news. We're still looking for the best way to achieve this, our goal is not to compromise Bear markdown nature or add an unnecessary layer of complexity for everybody. We tried a "view mode" which is basically a rich text view (or the current view without markers) which turn to the current editor once you go to "edit mode", but several problems emerged regarding scroll and cursor positioning between the two views.

At the moment I can't grant we'll find a satisfactory solution for this problem but we have some other tech and design paths we want to try.

Cheers.

9. 9 Posted by bear.gandalf99 on 23 Apr, 2018 07:24 PM

Danilo,

Thanks for the update even if the news was disappointing. Could you keep us informed about further efforts (successful or not)?

10. Support Staff 10 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 24 Apr, 2018 08:11 AM

Yes, I'll try to keep you updated.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac