Bear for Android

Swagatika

30 Nov, 2016 02:59 AM

Hi,

I really love your app. It's exactly what I've been looking for. I was wondering if you were going to come out with an Android version? I'd really like to sync all my notes with all my devices.

Thank you!

Showing page 3 out of 3. View the first page

1. 61 Posted by Alex on 30 Jun, 2017 07:02 PM

Absolutely, I'm very sure there are a ton of Android users who (like myself) are not satisfied with OneNote or Evernote and will embrace Bear with open arms! I certainly hope the Android and Web versions are coming sooner rather than later!

2. 62 Posted by jim g on 30 Jun, 2017 07:19 PM

del

3. 63 Posted by tod.w on 30 Jun, 2017 08:05 PM

As an early adopter of Bear, I would rather see the dev team continue to add new features and enhancements to the existing product than go through the expensive and time-wasting excercise of hiring Android devs (Shiny Frog has admitted that they have no experience with Android cding), ironing out Android-specific bugs, dealing with a totally insecure system, working around so many versions of Android and the fact that carriers don't push updates, and on and on. As a former network engineer I can tell you that companies who take security seriously don't like BYOD that are subject to almost weekly security breaches, which currently means Android. If it's your device of choice, that's your choice and maybe you won't ever get breached. I just don't want infectious backwash from an Android release mucking with my reasonably secure app and devices.

4. 64 Posted by Pedro Axelrud on 10 Jul, 2017 03:07 PM

Guys, IMHO this is a very wrong decision if you are looking to maximize your paying user base.

I understand you have no experience developing for Android and this is not something quick to just learn, but you can totally hire people to do it. If you look at market share numbers you're loosing a huge opportunity.

If you consider roughly 50-50 market share division between Android and iOS (only on US, as the rest of the world those numbers should be more like 80-20), you can pretty much double the potential of new users for your app. If you look to users on the entire world you'll see that now you can just reach 20% of them.

Prioritizing a web version is a bad decision as most of the benefits of the paid version aren't useful for people on the web version. I really don't think the web version would allow you to acquire more paying users. You'll probably spend a lot of money on something that wouldn't be useful for your users (for iOS users there's no reason to use the web version on a daily basis and Android users shouldn't migrate, for example, from native Evernote app to Bear web app).

5. 65 Posted by olya on 03 Sep, 2017 09:19 PM

I will be moving to Android for the first time in a month or two (want the bezelless form factor but don't want to pay $1k+ for a phone); and I hate to think I will have to cancel my no-brainer subscription to Bear and look for something else!

It may be just me of course but I'm pretty sure there will be a ton of people like me this fall.
    And believe me I know what it's like to create an app for Android — I work at a company that is going through that right now. But I'm pretty sure the pain is definitely worth it in your case.

6. 66 Posted by tod.w on 03 Sep, 2017 09:34 PM

Here I was hoping we could get through September without yet another futile request for Bear to be brought to the least secure malware-ridden platform in history.

@olya:

Bear is not for shallow folks who would go for the cosmetic "bezel-less" design over operating system security. You want fashion, go get a Versace. Apple and iOS are not for you.

7. 67 Posted by Beer on 03 Sep, 2017 10:27 PM

@tod.w: You failed to add anything useful to a request which doesn't even affect you.

8. 68 Posted by tod.w on 04 Sep, 2017 04:57 AM

@Beer: on the contrary. Shiny Frog has repeatedly written that there will be no Bear for Android in the near future. Perhaps a web version. The dev team is composed of three fellows whose expertise does not include Windows or Android, and Danilo has had to state this several times. Whenever he takes time to give the same answer each time the question is repeated, he takes time away from adding features requested by us subscribers - features that many of us consider to be quite important. Therefore, I consider repeated requests for an Android version when there will be none as something that indeed affects me as a paying subscriber.

9. 69 Posted by Beer on 04 Sep, 2017 06:37 AM

@tod.w: Everone understood the first time that you don't use Android and that you get angry about the wishes of other potential customers.

+1 for android even though I'm iPhone masterrace like you right now.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac