Feature request: Tag related features

Luhmann

09 Aug, 2016 08:58 AM

Tags are very useful and I love being able to add tag words within a note; however there are three features I would like to see added which I think will improve the experience of using tags.

1. An "untagged" tag
    • In my experience using other apps which support tagging, untagged items often fall through the cracks. For this reason it is useful to have a place where one can quickly see all untagged notes, adding tags to them if one wishes. For instance, if I have a tag for #lecturenotes and I forget to add it to one of my lecture note files (perhaps I forgot to format the tag correctly, adding space after the # sign and making a header instead?), it would be good to quickly find that untagged note along with other notes that don't have tags
  2. Remove tags on export
    • The ability to add tags inline is nice, but it creates a problem. If I'm drafting a letter in Bear and tag it #letters, I don't want that tag included in the final letter I export as a Word document or PDF. Other apps deal with this by not having tags inline, but if they are inline it might be nice to offer a way to remove them on export. This is a bit complicated since the current implementation allows someone to add tags in the middle of a sentence like #this. In that case one would just want the "#" removed. But where a tag has been added just to have a tag (on a separate line by itself) one would want the entire line removed. Still, it seems that this could be done?
  3. Support for @tags
    • It is nice to have two kinds of tags. Letterspace does this. @ tags are called mentions. It allows people or place tags to be separated from subject related tags. (Obviously, this would further complicate the request for tag removal on export...)
  1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Aug, 2016 09:22 AM

Hi again,

I think we can have the "untagged" feature by allowing a special research in the search field.

I'm working on a removing tag from exports feature.

Honestly I don't like giving users two different ways to tag, to me it raises more questions than effective advantages.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Luhmann on 09 Aug, 2016 02:49 PM

More tag related improvements:

1. Auto-complete
      • One of the worst problems with tagging is the tendency to create multiple tags that are slightly similar, or to create tags with typos. Offering some kind of auto-complete feature would help avoid this. If I have a tag #cars already, I will be less likely to accidentally create a new tag #car if it offers #cars as an auto-complete suggestion.
    2. # key on the iOS shortcut bar
      • It would help facilitate tag entry on iOS if there was a # symbol on the shortcut bar.
  3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Aug, 2016 04:48 PM

Hi again,

I can say there last 2 points are on our list for future improvements.

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by JD on 16 Mar, 2017 10:39 AM

+1 for the following mentioned above please:

An "untagged" tag - Very useful, exactly as Luhmann has described. Apple Notes.app has the 'Notes' folder which serves this purpose. Every now again I go through them, and Notes I want to sort go into a folder. (In Bear's case, I would go through and tag them.)

Auto-complete - exactly as described.. I don't want to accidentally create similar tags. Evernote has tag autocomplete, it makes it very easy.

thanks

5. 5 Posted by JD on 19 May, 2017 05:37 AM

@Danilo, What is possible please for introducing the feature request asked by @Luhmann, regarding auto complete of tags (based on previous used ones)? i.e.:

"One of the worst problems with tagging is the tendency to create multiple tags that are slightly similar, or to create tags with typos. Offering some kind of auto-complete feature would help avoid this. If I have a tag #cars already, I will be less likely to accidentally create a new tag #car if it offers #cars as an auto-complete suggestion."

Would be great for this to happen in iOS as well as Mac, since on my iPhone is often the place I first create a note and wish to tag it.. I find myself going back to tags to check what exactly the tag name is, to make sure I don't create the wrong one.

Thank you for considering this.

6. Support Staff 6 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 May, 2017 08:43 AM

The main problem regarding autocompletion is iOS, we should find a place for it in the toolbar but the current one does not satisfy us and we want to change it in something more usable.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac