Feature Request: Academic Features

Luhmann

09 Aug, 2016 08:48 AM

There are a number of features which would make this app more useful for me as an academic.

1. The ability to highlight text
    • It would be nice to have text highlighted as I had used a highlight marker. Ulysses uses ::marked:: code like this.
  2. The ability to add notes/comments/annotations to selected text.
    • There are many ways this could be implemented. I like the idea of a little post-it icon next to the text which can be clicked on to reveal the note.
  3. Footnotes
    • The standard Markdown way (used in Wordpress) is to use [^1] in the text and [^1]: At the bottom where the note goes.
  4. Writing goals
    • Both Scrivener and Ulysses have this. Great for people who try to write x number of words a day on a particular file.
  5. Presentation export
    • The OS X app Deckset, the web app swipe, the github project marp, and the github web app remark all implement this basic idea in slightly different ways.
    • Basically, using the existing Bear "line separator" code, make a PDF or HTML export where the text between each separator is a slide.

I understand that adding new features is not trivial and that developers have to pick and choose where to focus their energies. Thanks for considering these feature requests.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Aug, 2016 09:17 AM

Hi,

I think highlight can be a little problematic for Bear, but is definitively something we can think about. Notes/annotations and footnotes are on our list even if they will not be in the 1.0 release.

Writing goals is a cool feature, but I think of it as a "next-step" kind of feature. Also presentation export is very cool, but I little too specific for Bear.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Harry on 04 Nov, 2016 12:05 PM

Definitely a big vote for comments, annotations and particularly for footnotes!

Luhmann's other suggestions are also good, but the above are essential for me.

3. 3 Posted by mitch on 23 Nov, 2016 01:41 AM

+1 for
    * highlighting (love to see this!)
    * commenting

4. 4 Posted by youchen.lee on 26 Nov, 2016 03:56 PM

+1, especially for highlighting

5. 5 Posted by Nicole on 28 Jan, 2017 12:30 AM

+1 for footnotes! Highlighting and comments would also be amazing but footnotes would be the #1 priority because you can at least use those to keep your own comments in the absence of a commenting system.

6. 6 Posted by R H van der Gaa... on 14 Nov, 2017 09:29 AM

Yes, support for footnotes is essential. Full MultiMarkDown support would include those, with the shorter inline syntax [^This is the footnote], too. Let’s have full MultiMarkDown support!
    https://rawgit.com/fletcher/human-markdown-reference/master/index.html

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac