Version history in Bear app?

Ranko

13 Nov, 2016 12:37 PM

Is there a way to find old versions of my notes after editing?
Simplenote has this functionality and Evernote

1. 1 Posted by Jeff on 13 Nov, 2016 05:57 PM

Would love that too

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 Nov, 2016 09:43 AM

Hi,

we're thinking about it, our main concern is how to manage files and images without creating duplicates or keeping unnecessary files.

Cheers.

3. 3 Posted by Tim on 25 May, 2017 04:54 PM

The only thing from keeping me from diving in head first!

4. 4 Posted by Alexandros on 31 Aug, 2017 07:52 AM

Hi,

Is there any update on finding older versions of notes after editing? There are times when a note is edited accidentally and I realise it too late, when the undo function cannot be used any more...

This is the only reason I'm still using Evernote and haven't moved all my notes to bear.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 31 Aug, 2017 08:05 AM

Hi,

Bear Versioning is ready but needs an intensive testing, which we suspended to dedicate to iOS and MacOS updates.

Cheers.

6. 6 Posted by Kevin Queen on 03 Sep, 2017 03:20 PM

If you need a QA tester for this feature I volunteer. I love bear but this is the critical feature that is missing.

7. 7 Posted by Alexandros on 04 Sep, 2017 11:11 AM

Definitely agree with that, especially for us who use these notes apps for work.

8. 8 Posted by John Man on 10 Sep, 2017 10:01 PM

Another request from here (Pro subscriber) to versioning and/or automated backups.

I stored my notes previously in Dropbox (with extended version history so all changes over the past year retained) but I've lost that now that I've switched to Bear.

9. 9 Posted by phil on 18 Oct, 2017 07:55 PM

Another +1 to this.

Absolutely essential to me to have version history. I am currently using NVAlt, dropbox and revisions so can quickly get back 30 days (but more would be nice)

10. 10 Posted by yes on 19 Oct, 2017 03:12 PM

Another expression of desire for this feature. It's an important safety net.

11. 11 Posted by Ryan Delk on 28 Oct, 2017 11:16 PM

Any update on this? I'd love even a simple view to see what changes were made a on what dates (more like version control on a wiki, less like 'edit history').

12. Support Staff 12 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 30 Oct, 2017 11:24 AM

Hi Ryan,

I'm afraid I don't have updates to share about versioning so far.

Cheers.

13. 13 Posted by Dbjorkjones on 06 Nov, 2017 12:28 PM

Yes, some sort of revision history would be great or undo. I just lost hours worth of work accidentally when the key pad got knocked as I was getting up to answer the door.

I also wish there was a way to lock some notes with as simple passcode.

14. 14 Posted by Liew on 09 Nov, 2017 05:08 AM

Need this feature badly.

15. 15 Posted by Sreekandh B on 27 Nov, 2017 06:02 PM

This is one of my concern right now. Maybe having access to last 3 changes will also be a good place to start instead of full-fledged versioning.

16. 16 Posted by Kevin Queen on 28 Nov, 2017 12:21 AM

I have managed to make a "Workflow" app workflow that will copy a selected Bear Note to your iCloud account. If you answer "Keep Both" when it saves then you get a very crude versioning function. The downside is that you have to manually run the workflow, I have not found a way to automate that part since the IFTTT integration with Workflow is not that great right now. I can figure out how to publish the workflow if there is interest.

17. 17 Posted by Sad bear on 07 Jan, 2018 01:51 PM

Any update on versioning?

18. 18 Posted by Roar on 08 Jan, 2018 02:36 AM

Here is another workflow for iOS to save "snapshots" of Bear notes to Dropbox.

https://workflow.is/workflows/c11c2fd43edb41dcb482dc5e92c49f27

It saves files of any type to Dropbox with time-stamp added to filename.
    (.textbundle packages will automatically be zipped for transfere)
    Export notes as Markdown or as Textbundle if it contains images, and send to this workflow.

PS. Change DB snapshot folder in workflow to a folder of your choice!
    Originally made for snapshots of Ulysses groups (projects). See comments.

19. 19 Posted by Roar on 08 Jan, 2018 02:59 AM

You can do manual export as MD to the free version of “Working Copy” on iOS as snapshots during editing stages, and do commit locally there. Then you have edit history with DIFF – it’s quite awesome :)

See screenshot from iPhone 6s+ below …
    Or use GitHub desktop for local diffs on Mac (no need to sync to GitHub)

20. 20 Posted by Roar on 08 Jan, 2018 03:02 AM

21. 21 Posted by sad bear on 08 Jan, 2018 11:52 AM

Those both look good, but IMHO unless a backup is automated it is something i will forget to do, or do so inconsistently and it will be of no use when i need to recover.

If Dropbox were a storage option then doesn't that that do its own form of file versioning?

22. 22 Posted by Roar on 08 Jan, 2018 12:31 PM

I agree, backup should be automatic and regular to a designated folder, like in Ulysses and Scrivener. Please count our votes.

Also built in snapshot of individual notes with diff would be great. Specially when collaborating, I would like to clearly spot the changes others have done.

ShinyFrog, please pass this on to Santa for xmas 2018 ;)

23. Support Staff 23 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 08 Jan, 2018 02:53 PM

@Roar First of all: Very interesting workflow!

please pass this on to Santa for Xmas 2018 ;)

My hopes are for before Xmas 2018. The main problem about versioning is note changes can happen online and offline in a multi-device environment and this means we'll have to sync every note state change (sync slowness or brand new sync) or just version local changes (missing states).

24. 24 Posted by Justin on 25 Apr, 2018 05:58 PM

+1

25. 25 Posted by Talix on 07 May, 2018 07:07 PM

Yes, please! I just lost some info that this feature would have made very easily recoverable.

This is definitely the single most important improvement to make in my opinion as a Pro user!

26. 26 Posted by Roar on 10 May, 2018 03:29 AM

Yes, until versioning is there, please include option for auto backup at regular/dynamic intervals at designated path (something like Ulysses or Scrivener has).

Also really important to be able to restore a single (or selected) Note(s) from backup.

Restoring all notes from backup as today without secondary warning: that all present notes will be replaced by backup, is really scary and an invitation for disaster:
    Like accidentally restoring from last manual backup from last month or last year 
    When all you wanted was restoring one Note (not possible today ;(

27. 27 Posted by Roar on 10 May, 2018 03:52 AM

Any of these (without workarounds) on Shiny Frog's to-do list?

Workaround to restore single notes from backup exists, but are not really user friendly:

On Mac:

1. rename .bearbk to .zip
      1b) Set default app for .bearbk files to "The Archive Browser.app"
    2. Unzip this archive file
      (or 2b. pick single/multiple .textbundle files to unzip)
    3. Import (restore) single or multiple .textbundle files from this unzipped folder into Bear

On iOS:

Bear snapshot and restore – iOS

• Saves any file type, export all notes, or Bear backups to designated iCloud Drive folders, with date stamp added to filename or folder name.
    • Restores single notes from snapshots, exports or backups.
  28. 28 Posted by Roar on 10 May, 2018 04:11 AM

Please do not try this at home!

Question to Shiny Frog:

What will happen if we double click on an old Bear backup file in Mac Finder?

29. Support Staff 29 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 12 May, 2018 02:49 PM

What will happen if we double click on an old Bear backup file in Mac Finder?

Nothing, backups can be imported only from inside the apps.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac