Make the copy to Plain Text as default

muqaddar

12 Nov, 2016 08:58 PM

Hello Bear team,

When we manage code snippets in text, it if formatted with quotes in the app.
And when we copy the code from app to paste it somewhere, the quotes are kept.

I found the Copy as Pain Text that does the work in the contextual menu, but is there a way/option to make it as default for Command + C ?

Thanks.
Alexandre

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 Nov, 2016 09:10 AM

Hi Alexandre,

no, I'm afraid is not possible to over-ride command-c right now.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by bournier.alexan... on 14 Nov, 2016 09:20 AM

Ok, So I used BlockCode instead of Code for formatting data.
    So that I can copy the lines I want without the quotes at first and last line.

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by Dan on 14 Feb, 2018 12:47 AM

Cmd-Shift-C acts as "Copy As > Pain Text" which could be a workaround. You could use something like Karabiner-Elements to make this binding the default in Bear.

I too am looking for a way to easily copy/paste single line commands formatted as `code` into a terminal. One snag with the workaround above is that you can't use triple-click to quickly select the whole line in bear. If you do, then you copy the carriage return at the end of the line too, so your command runs immediately on paste, which is not good.

4. 4 Posted by Dan on 14 Feb, 2018 01:02 AM

Funny how writing something down makes you think of new approaches to a problem. It turns out that if you're using iTerm2 there is a way to map a shortcut like Cmd-Shift-V to a custom command that will trim off that newline for you. Quick copy and paste from Bear to the terminal for one-line commands, provided you remember to hold Shift during both operations.

http://brettterpstra.com/2014/11/14/safer-command-line-paste-in-iterm-2/

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 Feb, 2018 09:15 AM

Hi Dan,

if you right-click on a code block you'll a "Copy Code Block" menu item which copy the whole block without having to select the lines. Carriages will be copied anyway.

6. 6 Posted by Dan on 14 Feb, 2018 10:17 AM

Thanks Danilo. The use case I had in mind was for a single line, where I don't want the carriage return copied.

I have a lot of notes where I have a plain text sentence describing what to do, followed by a `code` line with the command to actually do it. What I was looking for was an easy way to copy/paste those commands into a terminal, without either the ` characters or the carriage return, and without having to carefully select the exact text needed before copying. I'd rather triple-click on the line, copy, then paste into the terminal. Then I can edit the command if needed, and press enter to run it.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Already uploaded files

• Capture_d’écran_2016-11-12_à_21.53.53.jpg 27.4 KB

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac