Keyboard shortcut to focus the Search Notes field

07 Nov, 2016 09:08 PM

It would be nice to have a keyboard shortcut dedicated to focusing the "Search Notes" field. Command-F does this sometimes, but if you're currently editing a note it just searches within the current note.

I would love a keyboard command which always consistently focuses the "Search Notes" field to search across everything.

1. 1 Posted by Chris Malek on 07 Nov, 2016 09:22 PM

+1 on this.

Command + L would match with safari and Nvalt.

2. 2 Posted by chris on 07 Nov, 2016 09:24 PM

Yeah, Command-L would be my recommendation too.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 08 Nov, 2016 11:24 AM

thank you for your suggestion, we'll consider it for future updates.

4. 4 Posted by chris on 08 Nov, 2016 02:55 PM

Thanks, Danilo.

5. 5 Posted by Jason on 04 Dec, 2016 11:35 PM

This is probably the only thing keeping me from subscribing. In nvalt/evernote, the global shortcut always takes you to the search notes field.

In Bear, if I use that shortcut and start typing, I often end up writing my search term to the last note I viewed. (instead of in the search bar like I'd expect)

6. 6 Posted by Brad on 16 Jan, 2017 02:34 PM

I completely agree. It is crucial to start editing a note out of my long list of notes with the keyboard (nvAlt, Ulysses) all have this as a MVP feature.

The easiest way to solve this is to add a menu bar menu command and then I can map a MacOS keyboard shortcut to it.

Thank you for the wonderful product.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 16 Jan, 2017 05:17 PM

Hi Everybody,

I just want to inform version 1.0.5 of Bear for Mac have the ⌘⇧F shortcut to reach the search field from everywhere.

8. 8 Posted by Nakul on 13 Feb, 2018 11:55 PM

hey the shortcut works. I'd also like it to automatically focus on the first entry rather than me having to press the down key and go to the note.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac