Focus mode

Jacob Siegumfeldt

07 Nov, 2016 04:41 PM

Hello Bear Support Team

I recently downloaded your app from the App Store on my Mac, and it's an absolutely fantastic app. However, there is one little thing that bothers me: the so-called focus mode. Does it only exist on the mobile app or what? I've searched everywhere, but it's impossible to find out how you activate it so I just wanted to know whether it actually exists or if it's just me who misunderstood something.

Thanks in advance.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 08 Nov, 2016 10:16 AM

Hi Jacob,

no, the focus mode is also available for the Mac app you can hide the sidebar and note list with shortcuts or the bottom right icon

http://www.bear-writer.com/faq/Hide%20sidebar,%20note%20list%20or%2...

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Jacob Siegumfel... on 08 Nov, 2016 05:27 PM

Hi again,

Thank you for the quick answer, always a pleasure to see a brillant support staff! I found it now, but if I may give you a suggestion, I would recommend that you made it a little clearer that this is how you activate the focus mode you talk about in the app description. Otherwise, please do keep up the good work!

Best regards,
    Jacob

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Nov, 2016 09:55 AM

Hi Jacob,

I think you are right, I'll see what we can do about it.

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by Jamie on 12 Feb, 2018 05:42 PM

I just ran into the same thing. Transitioning from iA Writer, I had a different expectation for what Focus Mode would do. It's also not discoverable via the name used on your marketing site (focus mode) in any of the menus or help content.

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 13 Feb, 2018 02:40 PM

@Jamie Hi, I think more can be done to make it more discoverable but may I ask which was your expectation about the Focus Mode?

6. 6 Posted by Jamie Kite on 13 Feb, 2018 03:54 PM

Focus mode on iA Writer is "an experience where everything fades away. Everything but the sentence you are writing, the thought that you are expressing right now. Focus mode helps you dive into the flow.” Using focus mode in fullscreen cuts out all distractions, including whatever text surrounds your current sentence. (You can also use the modes independently). Scrolling deactivates focus mode automatically until you settle in a different spot.

I’ve found iA Writer’s focus mode very helpful when composing long blocks of prose. I leave it off for many other forms of writing. I just found it surprising that another tool would use the same term for something that is really just removing menus/panels from the UI.

I’m transitioning to Bear for several other reasons, so definitely rooting for it. :)

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 13 Feb, 2018 04:55 PM

Thanks, I understand we have not invented the term "Focus mode" and in our context kind of belong to iA Writer. Maybe we can use different wording.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac