Hide format tags? (H1, *text*, /text/, etc.)

Rina

06 Nov, 2016 07:12 PM

Is there any way to hide the formatting tags? I would like to be able to see the text totally plain, i.e. without "H1" before heading 1, the stars before and after bold text, and so on.

If this is currently not an option, could it be an idea for future updates?

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by Björn on 22 May, 2017 03:35 PM

+1 I'd also love to have an on/off "switch" or as someone suggested, only visible when typing and when the mouse was outside they were hidden.

2. 32 Posted by Joshua Dance on 14 Jun, 2017 07:45 AM

I was going to use Bear, I imported my 2,000 Evernote notes, but the Markdown is ugly. I thought it was an option to use Markdown. I spent a while looking for a way to toggle between the 'editing' mode, and the normal view mode. Found out that it is only every in Markdown. Sadly won't be using Bear now. :(

3. 33 Posted by Dave A. on 03 Jul, 2017 04:53 PM

+1 Request for this feature. I feel like not having this option is against the design philosophy for the rest of the app. Everything is clean and distraction-free except for actually reading your notes—the primary function of the program.

4. 34 Posted by Dave A. on 03 Jul, 2017 04:56 PM

To add to the above, how about a mode that just shows the markdown for the current element? For example, only show "h4" if you've clicked into a line with that formatting.

5. 35 Posted by nnewbill on 05 Jul, 2017 10:16 PM

I think this has been considered for a fix, but wanted to add that I like the idea of showing markdown when in "edit mode". Prefer not to see them while reading/printing.

6. 36 Posted by Omar on 08 Jul, 2017 11:35 AM

+1 for this feature.

Two ways of implementing it for those of us who don't like permanent markup (ie: non-IT people):

1) Markup when editing only
    OR
    2) Markup only for the line you are on

7. 37 Posted by miller.blair on 10 Jul, 2017 01:03 PM

I have to agree, hiding the Markdown when you're not in editing mode would be most welcome. I see a technical challenge, though, in that your text is going to jump around quite a bit when you switch between "read" and "write" — you can't just hide the asterisks, hyphens, underscores, etc., or you'll get ugly white gaps in the text.

8. 38 Posted by Jan on 13 Jul, 2017 07:55 AM

Just want to add my voice to the choir.
    Please remove them from the notes, or at least give us an option to remove them!

9. 39 Posted by Boo on 19 Jul, 2017 01:48 PM

Yes, please remove the markdown. It's so distracting when I'm trying to read my notes. Looking to switch to a different note app, even though I love bear.

10. 40 Posted by Shaun on 20 Jul, 2017 11:03 AM

+1 for removing markdown.

I just want my notes to look clean without all the clutter that comes with displaying the formatting.

11. 41 Posted by Michael Hyatt on 20 Jul, 2017 11:50 AM

+1 for keeping MultiMarkdown. It’s the major reason I am considering moving from Evernote to Bear.

12. 42 Posted by Scott on 20 Jul, 2017 09:10 PM

+1 Having markdown visible when reviewing my notes makes my OCD go through the roof.

13. 43 Posted by Victor on 02 Aug, 2017 11:57 AM

+1. Currently a deal-breaker for me since I personally find it extremely distracting to look at.

Will happily switch to Bear and become a pro user once the tags are hideable.

14. 44 Posted by Steward on 13 Aug, 2017 02:18 AM

Was considering to switch from Apple Notes to Bear until I found out there's no way to hide the markdown.

Happy to be notified when the option is made available then I'll make the switch.

p/s: I've seen this feature been requested since Nov 2016 to no avail.

15. 45 Posted by macosxguru on 13 Aug, 2017 04:25 AM

I use Bear as a Markdown based note-taking application. Since I am focussed on writing Markdown, I like having the Markdown tags visible. Don't see why that would be an issue.

The preview is handled by Marked 2, which shows no markdown tags.

I love Bear the way it is and don't want this suggested change.

macosxguru

16. 46 Posted by Steward on 13 Aug, 2017 04:41 AM

@macoxguru good for you, however both of them aren't mutually exclusive. Now you need another software RE: Marked 2 to preview, slow clap.. clap.

17. 47 Posted by Reeve95545 on 13 Aug, 2017 04:42 AM

Cheers,
    Reeve Yew

18. 48 Posted by macosxguru on 13 Aug, 2017 04:57 AM

Actually if you are writing in Markdown, I think Marked 2 is an essential utility to have.

I have no problem with the assertion that this can be a toggle: Show or do not show markdown tags. That is not a problem for me.

This thread seems to be a discussion beyond the idea of a show/hide tags. It is also a discussion of whether Bear should support Markdown or not. I love the support for Markdown that Bear brings to note-taking. Would hate to see that go.

If you are looking for a note-taking application which is not Markdown based, Notelife is a pretty good solution.

I am going to ignore the sarcasm from Steward, it was unwarranted.

macosxguru

19. 49 Posted by Matthew Wimer on 13 Aug, 2017 06:57 AM

Initially, I didn't want markdown tags either. My notes have less to do with publishing in any way that markdown would help. But the more I used markdown, the more it became intriguing to use.

I understand why someone might get irritated with markdown if they don't use it for any publishing, but after having switched from a note app with no markdown (Evernote) to one that has it, I find it a really odd reason to never migrate.

Bear is free without sync. Try it out for a month. It was worth it for me. And I kinda enjoy markdown now. 

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac