Support for Tables

Bert Govig

05 Nov, 2016 08:49 PM

This is the best start ever for an apple note taking app.

You have culled the best from notes, evernote, and simplenote for this app. Congratulations. To boot, it is beautiful AND you have come up with a model for sustainability by charging 15 buck a year for the pleasure of using it.

The only thing on my wish list is support for tables.
For me, a note taking app that doesn't allow me to tabulate information in tables will never become my primary note taking app.
Of the options out there, evernote and microsoft one note both allow this. They are inferior to Bear in other ways, but not enough to justify the pain of transition.

Is tables support on the road map - any idea of how far down the road?

Thanks and congrats

Showing page 2 out of 2. View the first page

1. 31 Posted by jewittm on 28 Oct, 2017 07:08 PM

Tables would be an incredible feature. Very difficult to work around if you try to deploy Bear in a legal practice as I do.

2. 32 Posted by Vaibhav on 13 Nov, 2017 10:04 PM

+1 for tables

3. 33 Posted by Eleatmelon on 18 Nov, 2017 11:38 AM

It's ridiculous that so many people defend the developers by stating that table is very hard to implement.
    Yes, of course, programming is never easy. However, you choose to be a programmer and sell your product at a rate of 15 dollars a year and make yourself a good living on your product, but you just can't implement such basic functions such as Table/LaTeX which even some personal developers can implement years ago( MWeb, Marxico are both developed by personal developers as I know). Whether you should think over your team's programming skills or simply you're too lazy to implement anything because after all everyone will pay you 1.5 dollars per month.

4. Support Staff 34 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 18 Nov, 2017 01:58 PM

You can't understand how glad I am there are better programmers than me :)
    If tables are not hard for you, congrats, you can write your own multi markdown editor.

Greetings from Lazytown.

5. 35 Posted by tod.w on 18 Nov, 2017 07:30 PM

@Danilo: +∞

As long as people are complaining, I'd really love an "auto" save feature such that if I even think about a source (web page, pdf, email), or if I'm thinking about something, Bear would automatically read my mind and save the source or my thoughts, even automatically adding relevant tags.

Do you think you could include this amazingly simple feature in the next update? If not, I'm going to stamp my feet and cancel all ten of my annual subscriptions!!! After all, Google already does this so why can't you???!

🤮 😬 🤐 🤪 🤪 😇

6. Support Staff 36 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 21 Nov, 2017 03:01 PM

@Tod.w

Done! :D

7. 37 Posted by liu on 25 Nov, 2017 09:17 AM

Already support the table?

8. 38 Posted by Eleatmelon on 25 Nov, 2017 09:30 AM

@liu
    Don't even think about it. They joked around with some not-funny-at-all jokes.
    Hopefully you will get the function next year this time.
    But don't get upset if you don't cause it's a hard hard challenge for them. At least, before they've already charged you 50 dollars for this app, it's that hard.

9. 39 Posted by fidel.xu on 25 Nov, 2017 12:52 PM

Absolutely agree with @Eleatmelon!
    Although I purchased Pro subscription for one year, I won't write any note with bear. I have no faith in this team. All of us (Bear users) came here and write down our questions & suggestions because we loved bear and wanted it to be better, but what response we got?! @Danilo is so arrogant and insolent, how could I believe the bear app has a long lifecycle?

Maybe @Danilo will come out and take me for another joke later, my message for @Danilo is "Bye-bye".

Wish your team a bright future~

10. Support Staff 40 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 25 Nov, 2017 03:18 PM

@Eleatmelon Very Interesting. In my perspective, I replied to a comment accusing us of being lazy or untalented (with a little touch of greediness), with an ironic and unfunny comment but @liu perceived me as arrogant, even if in the same comment I wrote I don't consider myself a top programmer.

Maybe you prefer a nonironic response, here it is:

• Tables are one of the hardest challenges we'll ever face, especially UI wise, mostly because we have to make them work natively on iOS, MacOS and soon on the web. Also, we have an idea of how they'll work which may not coincide with yours.

• Saying "..Personal developers can implement years ago.." do not take account of how much time took to implement this feature, if it's html-only solution or in how many different platforms it works. Consider how many years took Notes to implement tables.

• Laziness... I understood in my early days of true work you have to be very careful who you are accusing of being lazy or implying you work harder than someone else.

• You are free to consider us capitalistic pigs for charging money for our work, but maybe you don't know how much time we spent on Bear before releasing it or what we sacrificed in terms of resources. Also, consider the vast majority of Bear features are free for everybody.

Cheers.

11. 41 Posted by Martin Betz on 25 Nov, 2017 03:32 PM

<[email blocked]>
    Reply: Danilo Bonardi <[email blocked]>
    <[email blocked]>
    Date: 25. November 2017 at 16:18:10
    To: [email blocked] <[email blocked]>
    <[email blocked]>

12. 42 Posted by Charlie on 29 Nov, 2017 09:34 PM

@Danilo Bonardi

Really disappointed with the reply to @Eleatmelon. His comment was ignorant and rude, but in my opinion yours was worse. You're the company - you need to be the grown up in the conversation, not to be defensive and petulant. Going to have to pass on Bear, as this attitude speaks volumes about your company.

13. Support Staff 43 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 30 Nov, 2017 09:16 AM

@Charlie

You are absolutely right, I'll try not to reply to provocations in the future.

14. 44 Posted by Julio Corzo on 02 Dec, 2017 08:24 AM

@Danilo Bonardi

Do you think this feature will be implemented next year? Is there a timeframe?

I absolutely love Bear, and I would love to see it get this much-needed feature.

15. 45 Posted by Dawn on 02 Dec, 2017 04:36 PM

I disagree that @Danillo's response was inappropriate. Yes they are the company, but they are also human. They should not have to be a verbal punching bag. In my opinion, keeping your sense of humor is critical to dealing with people and indicates that this company does indeed stand to last a long time.

16. 46 Posted by tod.w on 03 Dec, 2017 01:10 AM

@Dawn:

+1

The devs know what they're capable of producing and have a lot of feature requests. For users to continually berate the devs for not adhering to a user-fantasy timeline is, for me (75), an unfortunate sign of the times when bullying seems to be normalized. 🤷‍♂️

17. 47 Posted by Charlie on 12 Dec, 2017 08:00 AM

@tod.w @Dawn What do you think is more effective in combating rude/hateful internet comments - a polite explanation or more rudeness? Asking seriously. I don't know about you, but I'm so tired of seeing this sort of negative discourse everywhere I go online. This is a feature request request forum ffs... The only hope for making it stop is to not participate in the mudslinging. Let the trolls starve.

18. 48 Posted by Martin Betz on 12 Dec, 2017 08:36 AM

Am 12. December 2017 um 09:00:28, Charlie ([email blocked])
    schrieb:

19. 49 Posted by David on 16 Dec, 2017 02:29 AM

I didn't think Danilo's response was unprofessional at all. If you are willing to ditch an app because you think that comment was rude, it speaks to a level of fickleness that is surely beyond any company's capability to tame.

The most important consideration is what Danilo said: Apple Notes did not have table support until very recently, and it is exceedingly minimal. And if you were one of the brave souls on the dev beta journey, you know very well that even that level of features was not easy.

Also consider:
    1. The tag-structure of a simple HTML page. The number of tags, and the levels of nesting, for even a simple table, is way more complex than the most monstrous of nested lists, which must be the next most complex basic structure.
    2. Did you ever try Evernote tables when they first starting being the "universal app", circa ios 7? Great way to lose data because of formatting mishaps.
    3. Remember when Ulysses implemented tables? Or Scrivener? Me neither.

That is, no list of prior implementations is evidence that a feature is (1) easy, (2) viable, or even (3) desirable.

Why am I defending Bear? I like it, but I have no real horse in the race. It's just incredibly annoying when an ignorant few write off clearly capable creators, nevermind developers, because they clearly have no conception of the reality of what they are asking for and cannot maturely respond to a perfectly rational explanation.

20. 50 Posted by tod.w on 16 Dec, 2017 03:27 AM

@ David: well said.👍

21. 51 Posted by conor on 21 Jan, 2018 09:34 PM

so tables?

22. 52 Posted by sethsil1 on 02 Mar, 2018 05:19 PM

constructing tables that use the same scheme as github flavored markdown would be a great addition!

23. 53 Posted by Burke on 07 Mar, 2018 05:05 PM

+1 for tables

24. 54 Posted by chriswayg on 07 Apr, 2018 09:35 AM

Overall I'm very happy with Bear. Yet when trying to import my notes from Evernote, the most glaring problem is the missing table support. For me this is a showstopper when trying to make the switch completely.

My feature request would be GFM markdown style tables in Bear, similar to Typora, which has excellent table support on macOS with a nice visual editing interface.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac