custom font

Sergey Desyatkov

05 Nov, 2016 11:49 AM

Hi. If I have an opportunity to choose custom mac system font? Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 06 Nov, 2016 02:36 PM

Hi Sergey,

we plan to add more font choices but we don't want to allow custom fonts within bear because it could possibly broke its editor. Any particular font you want to see ?

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Sergey Desyatko... on 06 Nov, 2016 08:22 PM

Hi Danilio,
    I prefer to use `Operator` font.
    Thank you.

3. 3 Posted by Troy on 27 Nov, 2016 11:40 AM

4. 4 Posted by Danny on 28 Nov, 2016 05:14 AM

Bear comes with a thoughtful chosen set of fonts but there is room for improvement. I understand that not every font is suited for an worldwide used app—perhaps a more systemic suggestion is in order: Serif and Slab Serif typefaces (besides from Menlo, which does not count here since it is monospaced) are missing. A font with large x-height would be great for legibility. You might also consider condensed and wide variants of existing fonts or typefaces that match these features. Coders might want to choose between at least two monospaced typefaces. On public demand maybe even a dyslexia font could be implemented.

5. 5 Posted by Brendan on 06 Jul, 2017 10:46 PM

another vote for Operator Mono (or Operator Ssm, or preferably both)

6. 6 Posted by macosxguru on 09 Jul, 2017 01:13 AM

This is not endorsed by the Shiny Frogs folks, but you can make Operator Mono or any font you want work by following the instructions here:

Making Bear Work With OperatorMono - iPadpedia

macosxguru

7. 7 Posted by Yoyo on 21 Oct, 2017 07:27 AM

I'd like to use commercial font to replace the title (like futura) or the text.
    I know you don't want to allow custom fonts within bear because it could possibly broke its editor.
    If make a advance mode toggle? uncheck for build-in fonts, check for custom fonts.

p.s. I use Chinese for major, so actually i can't replace any font except alphabet from this version.

By the way, the attachment is my setting from reeader.

8. 8 Posted by Josh on 25 Apr, 2018 08:34 PM

Another vote for Operator Mono. Its a fixed-width font perfected for code and legibility, and my preferred font of choice. The idea that a font can ruin the layout is a bit outdated. Sure, give me the default options, but let me use whatever font I want, the impacts of that are my choice, not the app's.

9. 9 Posted by Mornay on 08 May, 2018 01:06 AM

I’d love to see Adobe Garamond Pro & any other variants of the Garamond font, added to the list of fonts for Bear.

10. 10 Posted by macosxguru on 08 May, 2018 01:52 AM

Adobe Garamond Pro is a commercial font you can purchase from Adobe. Shiny Frog cannot add a commercial font to the application unless they buy a license from the owner. I don't think that is going to happen. There are a few freeware versions of Garamond that can be added.

It would be infinitely more useful if Bear could include the option of adding our own fonts, commercial or otherwise.

macosxguru

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac