Use of global variables within a note

cogs66

13 Jun, 2018 02:26 PM

Hi all

Apologies if this has been covered already, I did search but couldn't see anything.

Does Bear have global variables which can be used? For example I use #templates to store canned responses, it would be really useful to use variables for the <date>, <today>, <now>, <time> etc.

Is this possible?

Thanks

Andy

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 Jun, 2018 08:09 AM

Hi Andy,

No, Bear does not come with this functionality. Someone suggested global variables before but now I realized I'm really not sure how they are supposed to work. In your idea, you want to place inside a note and have it changed to the current date during export(s)? Or the variable change inside the note?

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by cogs66 on 14 Jun, 2018 10:11 AM

Hi Danilo

Thanks for getting back.

#templates would store canned responses, proposals etc. To use one I would simply 'Duplicate' the note template and amend the tag. Variables would be updated accordingly and the proposal created and emailed to the client. (Copy As > Rich Text)

Inline variables would be the most useful I think as each user could then tailor for their own environment.

Global variables

These could be set in Preferences

• {today} - Today’s date
    • {now} - Today’s date and time
    • {time} - The time right now

Or use inline variables within a note instead/as well as?

Set some inline variables here

firstname=Andy
    lastname=Collins
    meetingdate=14/06/18
    product=beer fridge
    location=man cave

As an example this note could contain a proposal to a client

Dear {firstname}

It was nice to meet you on {meetingdate}. As promised here is my proposal based on our discussion to install a new {product} in your {location}.

etc etc

I am not even a week into using Bear but absolutely love its speed, beautiful design and simplicity of use. I have been using another product for many years which is like an enormous cargo ship in comparison. Bear feels like I have jumped in a speed boat and I am loving the ride!

Thank you to all involved.

A

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 14 Jun, 2018 04:15 PM

Hi,

thank you for the interesting explanation. In my mind, global variables sound more useful and I think to work they have to display their value inside the note while making the user understand they are indeed variables with something graphic.

This is definitely an interesting pro user feature but unfortunately, we have a huge stack of other things to do. Eventually, we'll address also this one.

Thanks for the feedback.

4. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 14 Jun, 2018 04:15 PM.

5. cogs66 re-opened this discussion on 14 Jun, 2018 04:23 PM

6. 4 Posted by cogs66 on 14 Jun, 2018 04:23 PM

Thanks for listening.

7. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 15 Jun, 2018 08:26 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac