Line/Typewriter focus mode

Mike

04 Nov, 2016 01:11 PM

I use tools like this to capture thoughts and ideas. One feature from other products is the ability to focus on the active typed line in the center of the page. That is an optimal ergometric feature for long sessions of writing. Without this feature, the writer is forced to stare at the bottom of the screen.

The feature should place the current input line in the center of the screen and the writer should be able to toggle on/off depending on their activity.

Bear feels like a good writing tool and I will subscribe to support development and see if it becomes my "go to" writing tool. Many of the other features that have presented on this discussion are valuable as well - annotation, comments etc. You should have a voting section so that the popularity of a feature can receive voting. A subscription vote counts more than a non-subscription (etc.)

thx
MM

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 04 Nov, 2016 05:49 PM

Hi Mike,

you are not the first which ask for a typewriter mode and I believe it's a very useful feature. Do you plan using it on Mac or also on iPhone or iPad ( maybe with external keyboard ) ?

A popularity vote seems like a good idea, maybe after the first ( and second ) round of bug fixes and minor updates we'll give it a shot.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Michael May on 05 Nov, 2016 01:01 PM

iPad Pro 10 with the apple keyboard has become my portable writing tool of choice, but I still can’t get rid of the MacBook due to some apps that don’t run on the iPad. Finally, some work is done at home on a big iMac (love that screen). I don’t do more than quick note taking on the iPhone.

I’m a CIO and a writer and capture words and ideas when and where they pop into my mind and that’s rarely while sitting at a desk. I like to work in no distraction mode and concentrate on capturing the thoughts. Sometimes I simply dictate/record the thoughts so they aren’t lost and then transpose them to words.

I also use drawing a lot. Paper and LARGE whiteboards are best for brain storming, but the iPad with pencil works well also. My preference is for an unlimited workspace so complex ideas can radiate from a centre as required (not a lot of products that support that). I guess, that asks for a module that lets me go full screen and capture doodles. I find the Apple notes app barely adequate.

Hope that helps. If you want, I can participate in beta testing.

thx

Mike May

3. 3 Posted by Chuck on 07 Nov, 2016 01:47 PM

I see the typewriter mode as essential for those of us who write a lot. I subscribed for a year right away before noticing that you don't have a typewriter mode. I plan to cancel my subscription during the 30 day trail if typewriter mode is not added. All the other major writing apps have it. Writing at the bottom of the screen and page is very annoying. Otherwise this is a beautiful app, but again I find it unusable without typewriter mode.

4. 4 Posted by dagaz on 24 Nov, 2016 07:14 AM

Hi, I came here to also add that, for me, I see Bear as being a replacement for Ulysses. However, I can't see that happening until Bear supports typewriter scrolling. I do the vast majority of my longer writing pieces on my MacBook Air and it quickly becomes annoying looking down at the bottom of the screen.

5. 5 Posted by Chuck on 05 Jan, 2017 04:04 PM

I have both a Mac and iPhone 7 Plus. I no longer use Bear due to the lack of Typewriter mode. I'm keeping the app on my Mac just in case you decide to update your app with Typewriter Mode. I'm sure you are aware that all other major writing apps have Typewriter mode. For now I will continue using DayOne.

6. 6 Posted by Jack C on 31 Jan, 2017 04:21 PM

Hi there, I just wanted to voice my support for a typewriter mode. For reference, I really like the iA Writer app's implementation of it.

7. 7 Posted by blundin on 27 Feb, 2017 01:28 AM

I'm also a free trial user at this point, and I am very concerned about my ability to use this app for my writing work without a typewriter mode.

I can see that it might not seem like a big deal for someone who does not spend hours each day writing, but for those of use who do it's essential. It is incredible annoying and hard to type at the bottom of your screen all day. With a big monitor it can be incredibly uncomfortable after a short while.

I love this app so far, it has the potential to replace 3 different apps I use each day. But without typewriter mode soon, it will probably just be uninstalled and forgotten soon.

8. 8 Posted by Luhmann on 25 Mar, 2017 12:24 PM

+1 for this. As I use Bear for more and more of my writing, this is actually a real problem...

9. 9 Posted by Sam on 31 May, 2017 09:46 AM

one more +1 for this. all of the comments from dev staff seem to imply that typewriter mode is not a priority and not coming any time soon, which i think is really too bad. will still support and subscribe, but adding my voice to the growing chorus asking for this crucial feature.

10. 10 Posted by Sean O on 06 Jun, 2017 07:14 PM

+1!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. 11 Posted by Davide Fucci on 12 Jun, 2017 04:22 PM

+1
    Is there any update on when will this be released for OSX?

12. 12 Posted by Anthony on 15 Jun, 2017 05:08 AM

I'll chime in for this too. I discovered Bear recently and it's really perfect in many ways, except for this seemingly glaring omission. I really want to be able to focus on just what I'm writing, and very much enjoy iA's Writer implementation too. At the moment I'd probably end up writing in Writer, then copy/pasting it into Bear as a place to keep the note, but that feels dirty and unnecessary.

I really hope a "Focus Mode" can be added soon!

13. 13 Posted by mistywindow on 05 Aug, 2017 01:56 AM

Another paid-up Bear user’s plaintive plea for typewriter mode.

I’d like to use Bear for blog posts and longer form writing; but without this feature, Ulysses wins.

14. 14 Posted by Luc on 15 Aug, 2017 05:44 PM

Adding my voice to the ones asking for this important feature. It's very helpful when you write long texts. Comes standard with other apps such as Ulysses, iA Writer and even ByWord. For info I love you app and am a paid subscriber.

15. 15 Posted by Edwin on 29 Aug, 2017 05:17 AM

Yes please. Love the app, use it to take notes, and for long writing sessions. Hard to do when I have to look at the bottom of the screen all the time. I resort to creating white space once in a while to create that space. Keeping the text in the middle as an option would be perfect.

16. 16 Posted by Ben T. on 14 Sep, 2017 01:56 PM

Just started using Bear and have already subscribed as a paid user. Loving it so far, but I agree with everyone else on this thread: "typewriter mode" (or just "cursor always vertically centred") is a must for longer writing sessions,

17. 17 Posted by Personal on 14 Sep, 2017 04:57 PM

Sean O’Rear
    Senior Product Development Manager
    Hydro-Thermal Corporation

+1.262.875.2166

This message is intended solely for the addressee. Any other access to or dissemination of this message is unauthorized. Unauthorized reception does not waive confidentiality or privilege of this message. Anyone receiving an unauthorized message is obligated to destroy the message upon receipt and not copy or transmit the document to any other person in any way. The Electronic Communications Privacy Act of 1986 (18 USC 2510 et seq.) provides federal criminal and civil penalties for the unauthorized reading of this email if you are not the intended addressee named above.

18. 18 Posted by Robin B on 11 Oct, 2017 07:24 PM

Please please please make a typewriter mode. I have tried many other apps, none of which I like as much as Bear, but the lack of typewriter mode is really challenging when I'm trying to take notes every single day.

Thanks.

19. 19 Posted by Anthony on 11 Oct, 2017 07:55 PM

Just a quick update from me. I switched to Ulysses because of this feature, which it implements perfectly and I'm very happy with it. It's a shame because I really liked Bear, but progress seems too slow unfortunately. The whole point of subscription based apps vs one-off purchase apps should be to keep development going or at least responsive to user feedback so it's a shame that doesn't seem to be happening.

20. 20 Posted by Robin Briggs on 11 Oct, 2017 08:09 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I actually downloaded Ulysses and have been playing with it. It’s stuffed with lots of features I won’t use, and I don’t love the interface, but yeah, it looks like, with Bear, this feature has been requested for literally years, to no avail. Bummer.

21. 21 Posted by Anthony on 11 Oct, 2017 09:21 PM

@Robin Briggs:

I thought that at first about Ulysses too but once you tweak the settings it's actually very minimal and a great distraction free writing environment. I actually prefer it to Bear now too. Perhaps give it another spin.

22. 22 Posted by Sam Waldo on 12 Oct, 2017 02:10 AM

Maybe I'll also give Ulysses another go, interested to hear that it has a
    more minimalistic interface available. Does anyone from Bear read this
    thread or these threads?

23. 23 Posted by Josh on 24 Oct, 2017 02:20 AM

Another vote for this, the only thing keeping me going back to ulysses.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac