Feature Request: Math support

Cheng Tan

04 Nov, 2016 03:49 AM

Hi,

I downloaded Bear at the first time. Although it looks really nice, I found it didn' t support math input. One of the important reason that I abandon Evernote is that it doesn't support math and seems never will. So I sincerely hope that Bear can integrate something like mathjax support in the future! Math is really really important for scientists when they are taking notes.

Best,
Cheng

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 04 Nov, 2016 02:40 PM

Hi Cheng,

we have plans to integrate external scripts like mathjax in future, I can't tell when this options will be available but it's in our plans.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Benjamin Rood on 21 Dec, 2016 08:43 PM

I too require this functionality. At the moment I can use web-based editors to write simple thinks using Mathjax/MathML but this is the feature is what would make me subscribe.

I don't think you need to give this functionality away for free, it can be a subscriber-only feature.

Is there a way of contributing to the development of the underlying source code to make this happen?

Thanks,

Benjamin

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 22 Dec, 2016 09:36 AM

Hi Benjamin,

I think it's really hard to make mathjax a pro-only feature, most likely will be available to everyone.

Thank you for contribution proposal, we'll contact you if we need support.

Cheers.

4. 4 Posted by Benjamin Rood on 23 Dec, 2016 10:16 PM

Hi Danilo, do you have a rough ETA of when you expect math markdown integration in 2017?

Benjamin Rood

Sent from
    https://polymail.io/?utm_source=polymail&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=signature

On Thu, 22 Dec 2016 at 10:36 PM Danilo Bonardi

<
    mailto:Danilo Bonardi <[email blocked]>
    > wrote:

a, pre, code, a:link, body { word-wrap: break-word !important; }

pre { width: 92%; margin: 10px 2%; padding: 5px 2%; background: #efefef; border: 1px solid #d6d6d6 } blockquote { margin-left: 0; padding-left: 1em; border-left: 5px solid #ccc; }

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 24 Dec, 2016 11:04 AM

We have yet to do a roadmap for Bear features, but math features are a very requested feature.

6. 6 Posted by Ilya Sterin on 05 Sep, 2017 09:30 PM

Any update on this? Trying to use bear for note taking in machine learning class and having to go back and forth between paper and Bear. Would prefer just Bear :-)

7. 7 Posted by jim g on 06 Sep, 2017 10:29 AM

Several months ago a survey was done and the most requested major features were table support, security features and math support, in that order. The developers are working on tables and have indicated it's going more slowly than anticipated. So I don't believe we'll be seeing math support for quite a few more months.

I use Marked 2, a previewing app, that integrates wonderfully with Bear. It will render math syntax such as LaTex. It also provides support for TOC, footnotes, tables, and much more. I highly recommend it. The Bear developers have already included the command to activate it under Note>Preview in Marked.

8. 8 Posted by Benjamin Rood on 06 Sep, 2017 10:46 AM

Perhaps this will be the kick up the arse the Bear devs need, then: Typora, another markdown editor, suppprts inline LaTeX ala MathJax, and has done for a while. I use that when necessary.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac