Feature suggestion: Support Kotlin syntax highlighting

NeverwinterMoon

13 Apr, 2018 01:28 PM

I see here (http://www.bear-writer.com/faq/Code%20Snippets/Show%20code%20highlighting%20in%20your%20code%20snippets/) that Bear supports a nice list of languages for the syntax highlighting, but Kotlin is not on it... Kotlin is now basically the only pleasant way to develop on the Android platform, and is a very nice and popular language. Would be nice to have support for it.

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 15 Apr, 2018 02:55 PM

Hi Manni,

we'll add support for Dart in the next version but not for Kotlin for time reasons. Some online say (I'm totally inexperienced about both languages) their syntaxes are pretty similar, maybe you can try using the dart highlighting for the moment.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by NeverwinterMoon on 16 Apr, 2018 06:33 AM

I've actually never used Dart, but gave it a glimpse just now - it does have its similarities in syntax to Kotlin (and a lot of other languages), but it does immediately stand out as a different beast as well :)

But I'll still try your suggestion out. I do love storing code snippets in my Bear, and it's wonderful to have beautiful highlighting. Just saying, that if you ever add Kotlin support in addition to Dart and any other languages, I would be one happy coder.

3. 3 Posted by fuad on 29 Jun, 2018 02:54 PM

I'm actually writing a book in Kotlin, so far using Bear, and I would really, really love to see you guys add Markdown support for Kotlin. Dart doesn't cut it - see attached screenshot.

4. 4 Posted by NeverwinterMoon on 29 Jun, 2018 03:06 PM

@fuad You could also give Boostnote a chance, if you haven’t already. It’s perfect for all markdown and code snippets’ needs. It’s not as slick as Bear, clearly, but it has its certain benefits. I personally tend to use both. Boostnote for everything code-related and Bear for all the rest. Oh, and Boostnote is also cross-platform. That matters to me as I, sadly, have to use Windows from time to time.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac