Meta Data

rneaves07

09 Feb, 2018 12:48 AM

Good day,

I absolutely love the Bear Writer app, especially the organic method of creating organization. I am curious about one feature that is keeping it from being my catch-all to end-all, Meta Data in regards to location/weather/etc. I have been dabbling with Day One over the years as a journaling app, but would love to have all things written located in one place. I could give up the visual style of Day One for Journaling (I like Bear's minimalist interface) if Bear could capture the location/weather/etc. in some form or fashion; this is part of the features I like/need with journaling. I know this is not the intention of the app, but curious about your thoughts. Thank you for a great app and all the updates/support!

1. 1 Posted by tod.w on 09 Feb, 2018 01:27 AM

@ rneaves:

Serious question: I am an old fart and therefore not up on current terminology. Could you explain what "the organic method" is and how it compares favorably against what I presume is its opposite, the inorganic method? A DDG search didn't pan out.

Thank you.

2. Support Staff 2 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 09 Feb, 2018 10:07 AM

Hi,

I have to admit I've never got really into Journaling and I'm still wondering why DayOne's wheater feature matter for so many (it's because help to understand mood variations?). I get the location can be useful for Journaling, but we don't like to ask for user location if not strictly necessary because of battery consumption and user privacy.

Can you please explain why these two pieces of information matter in your experience?

Thanks.

3. 3 Posted by rneaves07 on 09 Feb, 2018 04:57 PM

Good morning and thank you for the responses.

tod.w: The terminology is just my own interpretation of Bear's self describing method of note entry. Rather than having pre-defined journals/notebooks/etc. where you have to pre-plan your structure, have a notebook "Inbox" or "QuickNotes" section, then categorize and send out from there, Bear is a more natural experience; I akin it to taking notes in a manner more inline with how my brain works. I see a cool page about hiking boots and share it to Bear, I don't have to go create a new subfolder under my notebook section and call it Outdoors, I can simply within the note type #Interests/Outdoors and that section is created automatically. Hence why I said it is more organic.

Danilo: I have been in and out of Journaling myself and find it hard to stick with it at times myself, but recently got back into it on a trip to Greece; unfortunately this is when the "Bear slowdown when creating an entry with a picture" bug kicked in and capturing moments in Bear Writer proved impossible for the trip. As such, I returned to Day One and remembered its many great features, but since I am already committed to Bear I hate app switching for moments. When I sat down and compared the two the main thing that has Day One slightly ahead is the Meta Data. My wife and I are travelers/adventurers and love exploring our native SoCal, as well as other countries and states; having an entry taken on a hike, camping trip or evening overlooking the Mediterranean is enhanced when reviewing at a later time seeing my little blue dot on the Peninsual of Nafplio, Greece, or what the conditions were when we watched that amazing Lightning storm from our bedroom. Secondly, I am an amateur at a hobby called Cloud Collecting, where you learn about different clouds and snag pictures of them when you find them. Since clouds are based on location and atmospheric conditions, having that type of information is extremely helpful for A) Learning and capturing and B) Proving you were really there and saw them.

I know long winded, but thank you for the interest.

4. 4 Posted by blair.christens... on 09 Feb, 2018 08:04 PM

Photo View & Map View are two features of Day One that I would really like to see in Bear. It's nice to be able to easily browse either the photos I've aded and/or the entries made while in a certain area on the map.

While these aren't showstoppers they are qualify of life issues that make it hard for me to move everything to Bear, as much as I'd like to.

5. 5 Posted by tod.w on 09 Feb, 2018 11:03 PM

@rneaves: Thanks for taking the time to provide me with a good explanation. Also, there is no such thing as a longwinded question or reply. Finally, I envy your globetrotting experiences. Experience the world to the fullest extent possible.

6. 6 Posted by rneaves07 on 09 Feb, 2018 11:29 PM

Blair: Agreed, thank you for further clarifying the request

Tod: Appreciate the kind words, and as far as the globetrotting my wife gets the credit for getting me out of the state; now we've both got the bug.

Danilo: I was thinking on what you said about privacy/battery life. Maybe a feature like this could be toggled on/off if desired on a permanent basis and, if set to off, be utilize in a "fetch" manner where the user can (from within the note) choose to fetch the meta data and have it inserted into the note, but not leave it running at all times; I don't need to remember that it was 72 Degrees (Fahrenheit, if it was Celsius I would want to remember that) and I was in my home city when I made a reminder to order tacos.

I know a lot of requests come through, but you all made an app that is just too good and full of boundless potential. I'm telling you, if this request along with adding date/time reminders to To Do's/Tasks is ever implemented this app would probably replace at least 2-4 apps on most users phones/Macs.

7. Support Staff 7 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 10 Feb, 2018 03:50 PM

@rneaves07 Unfortunately, this kind of preferences are mostly ignored by users and we have to be very careful when choosing the default state, and of course, if it's off by default this means very few will use it.

I get the location metadata (even if with the concerns above) but I'm still not convinced about the weather because it honestly feels a little too much. Also, I realized weather cannot work without location :)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac