The somewhat odd nature of tags in an otherwise beautiful Bear App

Malte

05 Feb, 2018 02:25 AM

Bear App is beautifully designed!

Now, I have some questions about the hash tags. Bear App allows me to place as many hash tags as I wish anywhere within a note. It even allows me to nest hash tags! This is amazing, I am thinking but then something unexpected happens. When I select a hash tag from the Tags menu, it shows the notes that contain the selected tag but at not the location of the tag.

This puzzles me. Is this feature not complete yet? I would expect that I am shown all the instances *within* the notes at which a selected tag appears. But if this feature is complete yet, why allow people to place tags anywhere in a note if the search does not guide the user to the precise location of the selected tag?

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 05 Feb, 2018 09:10 AM

Hi Malte,

Our idea for tags was to let people tag notes, not note's portions. Some users suppose the tags are meant for paragraphs instead of notes, which is not a wrong idea and probably comes from other Apps/experiences. Eventually, tags can be updated to bring to specific note portions, but this should be under a preference because the majority of users are using tags only to easily find notes.

Cheers.

2. 2 Posted by Malte on 05 Feb, 2018 09:44 AM

Hi Danilo, thanks for getting back to me!

Yeah, I figured something along those lines. It would be clear is tags were to be entered in a set field at the top of a note. Perhaps you've noticed that I also +1ed on the auto table of contents for long notes.

The thing for people like me is that it's surprisingly hard to find a serious knowledge management app that allows me to keep track of large amounts of information. I guess there is no one right way of doing things. I just figure a combination of auto table of contents + tags that can be attached to text portions could be a powerful combo. All I can do right now is to keep a billion short notes that I can't structure in any meaningful way. But perhaps I am just overlooking the power of the current implementation?

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 05 Feb, 2018 09:52 AM

I just figure a combination of auto table of contents + tags that can be attached to text portions could be a powerful combo.

I have some idea about adding tags to the table of content, but I'm not sure will make the final release.

All I can do right now is to keep a billion short notes that I can't structure in any meaningful way.

With the current implementation, you can give your note collection a structure, hopefully with TOC and other features we are preparing will be handier to structure also the inside of a note.

4. 4 Posted by Malte on 06 Feb, 2018 02:42 AM

Thanks for letting me know! Let me know if ever your team would like to exchange some ideas.

5. Danilo Bonardi closed this discussion on 06 Feb, 2018 09:14 AM.

Comments are currently closed for this discussion. You can start a new one.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac