Link to other note - Improvements

18 Dec, 2017 12:20 PM

Hi, I love Bear, but there are 2 things I would like to be improved. They are a bit annoying for the way many of us organize their notes.

1) Retrieve linked note in the context notes list of its own most inner tag if it has a tag (and not in the context list of ALL NOTES or Top-level tag).
This happens If note 1 is in the context notes list of the second level tag - tag/tag and note 2 is in the context notes list of tag/tag/tag OR if note 1 is in the context notes list of tag/tag and note 2 is in the context notes list of tag/tag.
Let's say I am in note 1 and I click in a link to note 2, note 2 appears in the context notes list of all notes. Then, if I use cmd+option-arrow to go back to the note 1, note 1 also appears in the context notes list of all notes.
If I am in the top-level tag in the sidebar, linking between notes has always the top-level context appearing, which is not so bad, but still, for consistency every note should be shown in the context list of the most inner tag by default. Ex: if note has tag/tag/tag, the context notes list should be tag/tag/tag when it is shown and not top-level tag.
Especially in the case of tags, linking to note 2/going back to note 1 should retrieve the notes in the context notes list of their own most inner tags because then one gets lost very easily. I think this is essential.

2) Using the same example, note 1 linking to note 2: whenever the note 2 title is changed, change the link title of note 2 in note 1.
I don't know if this is possible - It is like to have a live sync between the title of note 2 and the link title of note 2 within note 1:)
Example: note 2 has a title of "

3)(optional): If tag is changed within a note either:
- make the note disapeear and remain in the context notes list of its last tag
- make the new tag context notes list appear while showing the edited note.
This problem is very closed to 1).
An example: Let's say I am inside the context notes list of the tag 'food' and I want to change the tag of 10 notes to 'recipes'. I don't mind of going to each note and change them one by one to the new tag. But if I go ahead and start doing it and the note is re-tagged. I delete the tag and the note will appear with the context notes list of ALL NOTES along with it, but when I write "#recipies' the context will not change.
Another example is: note is tagged food/recipes and I want to change it to food/dessert/recipes the same will happen. And I could continue to go on and on but I am afraid I would become even more boring.
In conclusion, I love the tagging system as it is, I love the automation of a new tag appearing in the sidebar while I am still writing the note, but then if you start exploring it, there are some flaws that are really anoying.

1. 1 Posted by Carlos on 18 Dec, 2017 12:24 PM

Sorry, in 2) the example is:
    note 2 is titled 'Hello' and that note is linked within note 1. If I change note 2's title to 'Hello World', the link within note 1 will remain 'Hello'.

2. 2 Posted by Carlos on 18 Dec, 2017 12:28 PM

...and what I want is that the link to note 2 within note 1 could change to update the new title.

3. Support Staff 3 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 19 Dec, 2017 09:44 AM

Hi Carlos,

I try to reply by points

1) Yes, this is one of the things we have to address when we'll a real back button. The current back functionality is "hidded" and does not work on iOS (without an external keyboard), the idea is to have back button somewhere and make it also affect sidebar and note list.

2) This is a little controversial for us. I get the usefulness of this but our idea is not to make changes inside user's notes without an explicit intention and changing a note link inside notes follow in this category. Automatism like this can be super-useful but also lead to usability problems.

3) We recently have improved this behavior making the note editor not losing focus when a tag is edited/deleted but the note list still changes to "All Notes". We will eventually change as you suggested (first option) but at the moment will break an incredible amount of small functionalities.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and examples.

4. 4 Posted by Lindsay on 30 Jan, 2018 01:14 PM

I wanted to second suggestion #2 above as essential to expanding Bear's usability. I understand the argument to not make changes inside a user's note, but I would say that if you make this functionality clear (exposed) to the user, this would actually be the user making changes throughout many of his/her own notes. In fact, this is directly parallel to changing the name of a tag and having that tag change throughout all notes, in terms of its application and the fact that it is essential.

For example: At the moment, if I link note 1 (let's call it "Index") to note 2 (let's call it "Hello" as above), and then change note 2 to be called "Hello World," the link in note 1 ("Index") creates a new note called "Hello," rather than linking to the original note. Similarly to having a tag name change affect the tag name in notes throughout the program, the lack of this functionality in regards to linking note titles kills some of my ability to use Bear in the way that I was intending. (I am trying out Bear Pro currently.) I have a note that includes comments on my day's work and also functions as an index-level view of other notes, but with the current functioning of the program, I either have to remember which notes are linked from that note, or never be able to change note titles, even when it would make it easier for me to reference them that way.

Please consider changing the behaviour of the app to allow for this sort of dynamic linking. For me, this would be a major item that would allow me to commit to using Bear Pro!

5. Support Staff 5 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 31 Jan, 2018 11:33 AM

Hi Lindsay,

you made some good points in favor of dynamically change the note links. We'll discuss and considerate this for future updates.

Thanks for the feedback.

6. 6 Posted by Lindsay Brin on 01 Feb, 2018 11:20 PM

Thanks for considering my suggestion! I really appreciate your responding
    via email.

7. 7 Posted by Roar on 02 Feb, 2018 05:08 AM

I see that Bear have two kinds of note to note links:

1. The ones you make with [[My Note Title]] that uses note title as reference
    2. Links (x-callback-url) that you get when dragging a note into another, that uses note ID as reference.
    • #1. get confused if title changes, if duplicates, or if a copy is in trash.
    • #2. Seems to be much more stable, independent of title changes, even though links still shows old title.

Maybe the [[Note Title]] links could use note ID instead? And update when target note title changes? (But without updating modified date, like when you rename tags in sidebar, non of the notes affected changes modified date:)

8. Support Staff 8 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 02 Feb, 2018 11:17 AM

I have to make a quite long premise :)

[[note links]] works differently back in the day: If you didn't have a note which matches the title the link was not be highlighted (not clickable). We changed this behavior and now if you click on the link and there is no match a new note with the same title is created. This because people who use this feature to build Wikis find very handy to write the link first and the note later. If we use the note ID the link will never get back in the create-new-note state, which concern me a little because of how [[ is used.

Also, I guess people who want the link updates don't want only the ID but also the title to change.

9. 9 Posted by Roar on 02 Feb, 2018 01:21 PM

Thanks, that makes sense. I was initially puzzled that It made a new note when [[MyTitle]] didn't exist, now I understand.
    Didn't think about the Wiki-link syntax, thanks :)

The good thing is that we have a choice between the two kind links, even if neither get auto title updates – yet ;)
    (But for very different purposes I guess)

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac