data loss on note

james cane

07 Dec, 2017 06:27 PM

I just experienced loss of data on an extremely important note in Bear -- a gradebook with comments that I had been keeping.

The last time I used it was 2 days ago, on Mac. I did all but perhaps a few tiny edits on the Mac -- tiny as in perhaps change a number or two. When I opened it today, all work done over several days was lost, amounting to at least 3/4 of the note. As far as I can tell, the lost data doesn't correspond to any editing that I did -- that is to say, it is not a previous version of the note, as far as I can tell.

To make matters worse, I have this set to automatically sync to my ipad and iphone, meaning that those devices now only have the truncated note.

This is ... I'm at a loss. There must be some way of recovering this note. I don't do Time Machine backups every two days, so that isn't an option, nor should it have to be.

Am I missing something here? If the data in this note is in fact permanently lost, I simply cannot imagine doing any work at all in this app, as I just can't afford to waste my time, lose my work, etc. I can't fathom that there is no way to restore.

Thanks

1. Support Staff 1 Posted by Danilo Bonardi on 11 Dec, 2017 12:43 PM

Hi James,

I'm really sorry for your data loss, we have recently fixed ( or worked around ) a very serious problem with data losses which most likely is the cause of your problem. The newer versions of iOS and MacOS have a very nasty bug with string truncation which can generate erroneous Unicode characters. Those characters cause Bear db to not save itself and generate data losses.

Again, I'm really sorry for your work and we'll ship the fix for this problem within the upcoming next update.

Cheers.

Reply to this discussion

Internal reply

Formatting help / Preview (switch to plain text) No formatting (switch to Markdown)

Attaching KB article:

»

Attached Files

You can attach files up to 10MB

If you don't have an account yet, we need to confirm you're human and not a machine trying to post spam.

Keyboard shortcuts

Generic

? Show this help
ESC Blurs the current field

Comment Form

r Focus the comment reply box
^ + ↩ Submit the comment

You can use Command ⌘ instead of Control ^ on Mac